Calling all single ladies: put your hands up for GALentine’s Day

Dove+chocolates+are+the+perfect+treat+for+both+you+and+your+friends+to+enjoy+on+Valentines+Day.+

Courtesy of Ela Jalil

Dove chocolates are the perfect treat for both you and your friends to enjoy on Valentines Day.

By Ela Jalil, Assistant News Editor

Despite Valentine’s Day being the holiday of love, not everyone has found that special someone to celebrate with. This holiday has a unique way of making single people feel lonely and even depressed with its constant barrages of hearts, cupids and roses everywhere. The biggest thing to remember is that being single is common- in a survey of 100 WCHS students, 82 students said they were going to be single on Valentine’s day, and there are plenty of ways to deal with being single during this holiday. 

Spend time with your friends

Take a page out of Leslie Knope’s book and have a Galentine’s Day by spending time with your closest friends and celebrating platonic love. Although Galentine’s Day is traditionally celebrated on February 13th, push it back one day and throw a party for you and your friends to enjoy. Tell your friends what you love most about them, and maybe even surprise them with a valentine or candygram. When you show your friends how much you appreciate them, you will get the same love in return. 

Stay off of Social Media

Even if you are content being single, social media can be the biggest proponent of why single people feel lonely on Valentine’s Day. Relationship posts flood Instagram and Snapchat feeds, and feelings of hopelessness of never finding the perfect person set in. The best way to avoid these feelings is to avoid social media altogether. Go on a social media cleanse for the day, and appreciate the people around you instead of the people on your screen. 

Watch a movie or read a book

Movies and books can be extremely relatable and can be perfect for whatever mood you are in. 

The anti-romantic

For those who are fed up with the excessive love fest that Valentine’s Day brings every year, then the hit comedy,“Isn’t It Romantic,” is perfect for you. Rebel Wilson plays a cynical architect that gets stuck in a romantic comedy and is desperate to escape. This anti rom-com will have you laughing out loud and remind you that the only love you really need is self love. 

The hopeful

If you are still waiting for your perfect match, then watch “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”. The movie features a reserved teenager, Lara Jean Covey, played by Lana Condor, who writes love letters to her crushes as a form of dealing with her feelings. However, these love letters stay buried in her room with no one else knowing about them. When they get sent out, she gets wrapped up into a complicated relationship with one of her old crushes and the ensuing chaos that follows is enough to give anyone hope that their ideal person is out there somewhere.  

Single Pringle

“Clueless” is the perfect movie for the person who knows that they do not need a partner to have fun. Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone, is a rich teen living in Beverly Hills, who takes the audience with her in her many failed exploits at finding love. While entertaining and relatable, friendship is the core message of the movie, as it reminds the audience that being single does not determine one’s happiness. 

Blast your favorite songs

According to healthline.com, music can provide a form of therapy to listeners- whether it’s listening to sad music to get over a lost relationship, or boosting your mood by listening to upbeat music. If you want to feel happy and empowered, play “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo and remember that you are “100% that b****” and can conquer the day. If you are reminiscing about a past breakup, then listen to “When We Were Young”, by Adele. Her smooth and powerful voice washes over listeners, and the tales of heartbreak will be extremely relatable to teens. If you want a song that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head and distract you from Valentine’s day, then listen to “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls or “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé. These catchy songs preach girl power and having high standards, which are both important messages to remember.

Treat yo self 

“Parks and Rec” has endless ways to make yourself feel better, and now it is time to follow Tom Haverford’s lead, and “treat yo self”. Make Valentine’s Day about you and your personal happiness instead of basing it off of your relationship status. Do something that makes you happy, whether it is putting on your favorite face mask, or buying a box of chocolates for yourself. Wear your favorite outfit, watch your favorite TV show (Parks and Rec is always a good option), and eat your favorite meal. Remember that self love comes first.