Cool fashion trends for a sizzling summer

Photo Courtesy of Eli Langer

Eli Langer (freshman) with denim shorts, minimalistic white button down with black and white converse and slim black cat-eye sunglasses.

By Nur Yavuz, Staff Writer

Fashion trends that will appear this spring and summer have already had their debut at events such as New York, Milan, Paris and London fashion weeks. The most unique fabrics have been transformed into a more street-wearable style for a more affordable price.

According to the 2019 April Cosmopolitan publication, bright colors like neon, whether it’s incorporated by separate accessory pieces or a matching set, will be on one of the top shelves thanks to big celebrities like Kim Kardashian for rocking the bold colors.

These bright colors may have made a re-appearance, but this year is all about what you pair that neon pink crop top with. “I expect to see a lot of minimalistic tones paired with pops of bright colors,” freshman Eli Langer said, “This upcoming season is going to be a great way to play with the aesthetic of minimalism and see what one can do with it.”

Following the bright colors, a more muted and put together look first spotted in the 70’s in California has come back: crochet clothing. The fashion club at WCHS recognizes these trends and implements them into their meetings.

“Fashion club actually discusses current fashion trends and runway shows,” junior and president of the fashion club Nura Dhar said.

As most students know, popular music festivals such as Coachella and Firefly, located in Dover, DE are known for the music but more often the outfits worn.

These festivals are known for rocking different, yet sparkly and bold outfits. However, controversy has been sparked about celebrities culturally appropriating and debates have taken place regarding whether it is morally acceptable to include styles and designs from various cultures in festival outfits.

“Since Coachella and Firefly are all about bohemian fashion, sacred Native Americans and Indian symbols have been misused by celebrities.” Dhar said.

A lot of celebrities attend these festivals and quite often litter social media with posts about their outfits. Students are influenced by these celebrities to dress similar to the way they do.

“Teens are obviously influenced by logo mania pieces,” Langer said.

Luxury brands like Supreme, Louis Vuitton and Gucci are all over celebrities and are often reflected at WCHS by students’ through their choice of clothing.

“By their [students’] favorite celebrity or influencer showing off their latest designer duds or splurges whether it be mainstream or not, it definitely represents the fashion industry as a whole in a new light” Langer said.

Though popular fashionable clothing stores such as Zara, Topshop and Urban Outfitters are popular, being unique and putting your own twist on your style is what is most important.

“My main option for shopping is going to my local thrift store and finding the special pieces that you’ll use forever.” Langer said.

In addition, classic fabrics and prints such as leather and plaid have recently been seen more often. Plaid is great to dress up or down and according to the website, Just The Design, a plaid skirt with a tucked in blouse and booties creates a cute and great outfit for a night out with your friends or family. However, summer is right around the corner, but there are many different ways to incorporate leather into your wardrobe without overheating in the sun. Pieces like a light biker jacket will warm you up on the late nights out,and a cute leather skirt will most definitely pull your look together.

“Both textiles are very versatile and can be dressed up or down which I think is one the main reasons both are so popular in today’s society.” Langer said.

Over time society has transformed into a more conservative point of view to a more open and expressive one.

“Fashion became more rebellious than previous eras,” Dhar said.

With popular clothing choices of crop tops, short skirts, ripped jeans makes the long skirts and blouses worn in the 50’s and 60’s much more revealing. If you are a student who wants to ‘up’ their fashion game, then remember that being unique is the key to all the trends out there.

“The most important thing is to use fashion to express yourself on a daily basis and get involved in as many projects related to fashion as possible,” Dhar said.