Broccoli City Festival gives fans a serving of awesome

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

By Gaurav Gandhi, Senior Writer

Touted as the largest Earth Day celebration in the world, Broccoli City Festival took place April 28, featuring some of the biggest names in hip-hop. Each year, the lineup hosts some of the best black artists in the industry, with this year’s featuring the likes of Miguel, Cardi B, and rap group Migos.

Defined by its website as a “social enterprise that roots itself in a triple bottom line strategy that focuses on people, planet, and profit,” the festival is rooted in volunteering and giving back to the community. It focuses on all aspects of bettering communities, specifically in Washington D.C, creating an identity that makes Broccoli City stand out compared to other music festivals.

The festival followed a two day interactive conference which was hosted by Google DC. It was the first conference put on by Broccoli city, and featured panels, guest speakers, and sessions focusing on youth and millennial entrepreneurship.

Broccoli City also hosted their sixth annual 5K and fitness day, partnering up with Nike Running in support of their “Choose Go” campaign to get people active.

The music kicked off with performances from Hood Celebrity and Lightshow, two rappers hailing from the Bronx and Washington D.C. respectively.

Following the less popular acts, Atlanta based rapper Rich the Kid strutted out to his biggest and catchiest hit, “Plug Walk,” and continued to energize the crowd with other hit song “New Freezer” featuring hip-hop’s favorite Kendrick Lamar, who was shown by the crowd that he did not have to be in attendance to have his verse shouted.

Singer H.E.R and Daniel Caesar serenaded the crowd of over 30,000 with their hit duet “Best Part” together, and also performed their own individual hour long sets,. Rapper Nipsey Hussle, hailing from Los Angeles, performed a politically charged version of “FDT,” with a picture of Kanye West sporting a “Make America Great Again” hat.on the big screen.

Cardi B announced recently via Instagram that her performance at Broccoli City would be her last, cancelling her following tour dates due to her pregnancy.. Although short, her performance was memorable, and her anthems “Bartier Cardi” and “Bodak Yellow” left the crowd in awe.

32 year-old singer Miguel succeeded Cardi, delivering soulful performances of hits such as “Skywalker” and “Power Trip”. He proved his durability as he was faced with a long 90 minute set and was faced with the challenge of overcoming rain during part of his performance.

Headliner Migos ‘walked it like they talked it’ during their performance, and had the crowd wild. Opening to “Supastars,” the group spat the lyrics to their most popular songs emphatically. Each individual Migo had their own solo song, with Quavo performing “Ice Tray,” Offset performing “Ric Flair Drip,” and Takeoff with “We the Ones”. After spitting out their plethora of hit bangers and performing several songs from newly released album “Culture 2,” Migos concluded Broccoli City Festival 2018 with their number one single “Bad and Boujee,” the groups’ most popular song.

The sold-out crowd for the event saw over 30,000 people in attendance, and appeared to have 30,000 people loving every minute of it. Founders Brandon McEachern and Marcus Allen, who had previously stated that they were “butt-naked financially,” are very likely no longer in that bind and can continue on with the Broccoli City tradition.