LGBTQ Month Raises Awareness

By Megan Park, Photo Editor

With June fast approaching, there will be many holidays to celebrate. Though it may not be commonly known, June happens to be gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) Book month as well as LGBT awareness month.

GLBT Book month is a nationwide celebration of the authors and writings that reflect the lives and experiences of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community.

“I think it’s great that GLBT authors have an awareness month,” sophomore Nicole Bratton said. “It just goes to show how accepting and acknowledging our society is truly starting to become.”

The month was originally established in the early 1990s but reestablished by the American Library Association (ALA) in 2015. This occasion is an opportunity for book lovers and libraries with the very best in GLBT literature.

Not only is June GLBT book month, but also LGBT awareness month.

According to a Library of Congress article, the purpose of the commemorative month is to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally and internationally.

As the LGBT community increases, there have also been an increase in pride parades. The parades often involve floats, dancers, and amplified music as well as local politicians and various marching groups from LGBT institutions.

Support for these parades have been increasing dramatically as well. The increase of sponsorships for the pride parades helps show the public’s greater acceptance towards the LGBT community.

According to a LGBTQ Nation article, companies are finding that the benefits of sponsorship outweigh the risks of staying away, giving them a chance to make a statement in support of diversity and use it to help recruit and retain top talent who want to work for a business that supports LGBT rights.

“All in all, I find it really encouraging to many people, whether apart or not apart of the LGBT community,” Bratton said. “I truly hope the support continues to grow.”