Harriet Tubman Replaces Jackson on the $20 Bill

Harriet Tubman will be featured on the front of the new $20 bill. The changes coming to the #5, $10 and $20 bills were made using public input and are meant to bring more representation to U.S. currency.

Photo Courtesy of Women on the 20.

By Eliza Asbury, Business Manager

The US Department of Treasury decided April 20 to make modifications to the $5, $10 and $20 bills by adding new leaders to the bills.

Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on front of the $20 bill, but an image of Jackson and the White House will remain on the back of the bill. The $10 bill will have women’s rights activists Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Alice Paul on the back, and  Alexander Hamilton will remain on the front. The $5 bill will feature Martin Luther King Jr., Marian Anderson and Eleanor Roosevelt, with Lincoln still remaining on the front.

According to the US Department of Treasury website, the currency of the country represents what America values and honors. The multitude of feedback from many Americans helped the treasury redesign the bills.

Americans played a role in choosing the candidates for the new dollar bills through social media posts, web campaigns and debates. The input was taken into consideration, and ultimately the choice was made by measuring what each person meant to the country.

Freshman Lauren Hando believes that the new faces on the bills were chosen to shed light on equality and some underappreciated yet significant events in history.

According to an April 21 Washington Post article, the $20 bill, with Tubman on the front, will be a big step in the nation’s road to gender and race equality. Tubman helped many slaves escape to freedom and supported women’s right to vote.

According to the Washington Post article, Tubman will not only be the first African American to be on U.S. paper money, she will also be the first women to be on paper currency in 100 years.

“Money has such a huge impact in society, we use it everyday, so I think it’s a huge honor for a women to be represented on it,” Hando said.

According to the Washington Post article, Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew’s first plan for the redesign of the $10 bill was to remove Alexander Hamilton and replace him with a woman. However, he received complaints due to the popularity of the hit Broadway musical ‘‘Hamilton.”

The musical “Hamilton” received a Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, along with other widespread critical acclaim.

“I think Hamilton deserved to stay on the bill because he created the entire monetary system, also he’s a better example of the “American Dream,” immigrating to America and being successful, than a lot of other people,” junior Isabel Berard said.

According to the U.S. Department of Treasury, the $10 bill will lead to more recognition for the 1913 March and leaders of the women’s suffrage movement who helped influence the passing of the 19th Amendment.

“The change will help women’s rights because pretty much 50 percent of the population is female, and there isn’t much money with women on it. T lack of representation on money currently is bad.” Berard said. “This is big step for women.”

According to the Washington Post article, Lew promised that the designs of the new bills will be finished by at least 2020, the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment. The design and production of the new bills is already underway, and the premiere for the new bills will take place on the anniversary of the passage of the women’s right to vote.