Local donut shops prepare for National Donut Day

By Becky Wolfson, Production Editor

You do-nut want to miss National Donut Day, June 5.

National Donut Day began in 1938 to honor “doughnut dollies,” women who served donuts to WWI soldiers. Today, National Donut Day is celebrated annually on the first Friday in June. This year to celebrate, Krispy Kreme will be giving out free donuts to anyone who comes in on June 5.

“To prepare for National Donut Day, we have a plan and prepare a lot beforehand,” Krispy Kreme employee Antonia said. “During the day we are constantly creating donuts.”

In an Observer poll of 80 CHS students, 66 percent said they will celebrate National Donut Day this year.

“I didn’t know there was a holiday for donuts, but now that I do I’ll definitely celebrate by going to Krispy Kreme,” freshman Justis Mitchell said. “I’m sure if more students knew about free donuts they would celebrate too.”

Out of the polled students, 56 percent said Krispy Kreme was their favorite local donut place.

“To make the donuts, we let the ingredients sit for one hour to raise the dough and after, they go to the fryer, then four minutes later, are put into the glaze,” Antonia said.

Not only will Krispy Kreme be celebrating the holiday, Dunkin’ Donuts will also be giving out free donuts with the purchase of a beverage.

According to Dunkin’ Donuts employee Rider, his store usually gets a few extra employees to prepare for the day.

Entenmann’s and the Salvation Army also have a deal for the holiday. The two companies have teamed up to commemorate donuts by holding online sweepstakes.

According to Entenmanns.com, 100 grand prize winners will win a free year supply of donuts.

If you’re a donut lover, make sure you do-nut miss out on this holiday.