Fall campaigns fight cancer

Carving pumpkins, trick-or-treating and picking apples are all activities commonly associated with October. However, the beginning of fall is not the only major occurrence worth observing this month; it is also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM).

According to the National Breast Cancer website, one in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. Since 1985, October has been designated as the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

According to the NBCAM website, NBCAM promote’s breast cancer awareness and shares information about the disease. Although it is important to spread awareness and show support by wearing pink, many local businesses are hosting events to benefit breast cancer research.

Caribou Coffee

Throughout the month of October, Caribou Coffee locations nationwide will donate 10 percent of the sales from their coffee “Amy’s Blend” to Cancer Care, a company that provides services such as financial assistance, support groups and educational workshops to people with cancer.

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Registration is now available for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C. May 4-5, 2013, hosted by The Avon Foundation for Women. Participants can choose between walking a marathon or a marathon-and-a-half throughout the weekend, and the specific route will be announced closer to the date.

Donations raised by the walk help fund programs that enable patients to access quality care and research to find a cure for and prevent breast cancer. Most of the money raised will go to local research centers, including the National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund, Johns Hopkins University and the Howard University Cancer Center. Some profits will also go to national research centers.

According to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer website, the money raised from one person participating in the walk can provide critical supplies to 72 research labs, mammograms for 12 low-income women or transportation to medical appointments for 180 low-income patients.

Breast Cancer Research Stamp

The U.S. Postal Service offers a semi-postal, or charity, stamp for breast cancer, the proceeds of which go to the National Institute of Health and the Medical Research Program at the Department of Defense.

According to the U.S. Postal Service website, the stamp has raised over $75.8 million for breast cancer research as of September 2012.

Take a Bite Out of Breast Cancer

Pink Jams!, a non-profit company that promotes early detection and breast cancer awareness, is hosting their second-annual event called “Take a Bite Out of Breast Cancer.” For the whole month of October, participating chefs and restaurants in Washington, D.C. will donate a percentage of their sales to breast cancer awareness. Participating restaurants include Café Soleil, 2100 Prime and Hank’s Oyster Bar.

Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure

Registration is also now available for the annual Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure, which will be held in Washington, D.C., in May 2013. A majority of funds from the race support breast cancer education and screening and treatment programs. Any remaining funds support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure’s work educating and providing breast health services globally.

Sophomore Nesma Belkhodja has participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for the past three years.

“My grandma had breast cancer, so my family and I wanted to show our support for her and others with cancer,” Belkhodja said.

There are so many people there and it’s amazing to see everyone coming together for a common goal.”

CHS Athletics

Sports teams at CHS are also supporting breast cancer awareness and research through a variety of ways.

The volleyball team held a bake sale and sold pink bracelets that say “Dig Pink,” in addition to asking parents for any donations.

According to sophomore Sara Chang, all of the proceeds go to the Side-Out Foundation, which encourages volleyball teams across the country to help raise money for breast cancer research.

“Roughly, we have raised over $1,000,” Chang said. “We did a really good job this year.”

Girls soccer also asked for donations from parents, with the proceeds going to Red Card Cancer, which unites the worldwide soccer community in the fight against cancer.

Other teams, such as field hockey and varsity cheer, show their support with pink shoelaces and pink pompoms.