Student Art Spotlight: Jenna Wang

Senior Jenna Wang takes a break from playing the cello. She has been playing for many years and hopes to pursue her music further.

PHOTO COURTESY OF JENNA WANG.

By Sarah O'Brien and Balbina Yang, Arts Editors

Recognized in the state and county for her exceptional cello skills for the CHS and Montgomery County Youth Orchestra (MCYO) orchestras, senior and cellist Jenna Wang has set the standard for musical performance at CHS.
Some of Wang’s achievements include being the principal cellist of the MCYO and playing in chamber trios and symphonies at Strathmore Hall, Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and other venues.
“At first my mom picked my instrument out for me since she thought it would be good for me to start a musical instrument and she loved the warm sound of the cello,” Wang said. “As I got older, I started appreciating the cello more as I learned more about it, discovered it’s ‘human-like’ voice and participated in orchestra and summer music festivals.”
Wang has won several awards for her music such as first and second places at competitions, such as the Maryland State Music Teachers Association (MSMTA) Spring Solo Strings Festival and the Feder Memorial Strings Competition. She has been featured in the Gaithersburg Young Artists Award Competition and American Protege Music Festival.
“Although I’ve only known her for one year, I’ve seen her grow immensely as both a musician and an individual, a result of her passionate work ethic,” senior and cellist Jack Zhao said. “She is someone who sets goals and works towards them tirelessly in spite of any obstacles because she truly enjoys what she does.”
In terms of her favorite musicians, Wang enjoys listening to Jacqueline Du Pre and Yo Yo Ma due to their passion for and emotion in their music.
“Yo-Yo Ma’s cello playing is always very musical and warm,” Wang said. “I love watching him play because you can tell that he really ‘gets’ the music and what the composer was thinking when he wrote the piece.”
Wang credits her experience in orchestra as an important aspect in her life since she has been doing it for so long.
“The best thing about being in an orchestra is that you can meet all different kinds of people from all backgrounds and ages,” Wang said. “Even if you have nothing in common to begin with, music becomes a common language for you to begin new relationships with people. Orchestra becomes an important part of your life and becomes an important family for you.”
In the future, Wang plans to continue cello and plans to major in music in college.
“Jenna is one of the most dedicated musicians that I have had the honor of working with,” instrumental music teacher Kristofer Sanz said. “She’s that student that you hope you have and only comes around once in awhile. She’s super dedicated to not only the orchestra here but to her solo career and playing in chamber groups. She’s a very passionate musician and she’s the complete package when it comes to technicality and musicality.”