WCHS musicians orchestrate sunshine in Florida

On January 28th, WCHS band and orchestra students share a meal together during their Miami stay. This trip provided an opportunity for students to connect and support each other out of school.
Photo by Sonia Lin

Palm trees swaying in the warm breeze, the sound of crashing waves, delicious meals every night and an immersion in local Miami culture. The WCHS band and orchestra experienced this on their trip to Miami, Florida from Jan. 25-29. Leaving students with unforgettable memories of the symphony of sights, sounds and flavors of Miami, the trip was more than just music: it allowed students to blow off steam after a challenging semester and provided an outlet for relaxation at the beach.

There were many benefits for the musicians who attended this trip. Besides developing their musical skills, students also learned valuable life lessons. Additionally, the trip has become a WCHS tradition for the music department for generations of students to augment their high school experience. 

“This is a trip that we’ve been doing for the last 20 years,” WCHS orchestra teacher Kristofer Sanz said. “It’s an awesome opportunity for all of our musicians to get a chance to together leave school and not just perform, but build skills like cohabitating with other people. It also gives them a chance to rest after the semester and gives them a chance to be a kid.” 

In Miami, students could perform at a different venue in front of a varied crowd of peers and judges, not just parents. This challenged students to refine their musical skills and support each other through practice, preparation and performance. In addition, this was a unique opportunity for the band and orchestra to perform as a combined ensemble.

“I was a little nervous since we typically don’t practice as a full orchestra, but I knew our hard work would pay off,” WCHS sophomore Catherine Ward said.

Students took full advantage of the Miami culture to immerse themselves in the locale. Miami has more to offer than the beaches and nightlife attractions it is known for. The students’ itinerary included opportunities to learn about the diverse culture that makes Miami so unique and have fun simultaneously.  

“We mix in the trip any cultural aspects that are available,” Sanz said. “In Miami, we did a tour of Little Havana and learned the history of the Bay of Pigs. We were able to immerse the kids in Cuban culture with the tour, with food, as well as learning how to salsa dance.”

Miami is known for its turquoise waters and white, sandy beaches. During their trip, students visited the popular South Beach area and spent the day on a catamaran to enjoy the waters up close and personal, a highlight of the Miami experience.

“We had a chance to enjoy Miami, the warmth and the beach,” Sanz said. “We rented some catamarans and went out on the water, so we always try to cultivate the trip to give the kids a chance to experience everything the location has to offer.”

This opportunity allowed students to bond and support each other outside the typical school atmosphere. Additionally, it provided a break from the routine, allowing students to unwind, have fun and share experiences in the Miami sun.  

“This trip definitely let me connect to my band friends a lot more,” Ward said. “Overall, it was much more than just band practice and these are memories I’ll never forget.”