Fall in love with these Netflix shows this autumn

Photo courtesy of @gilmoregirls on Instagram

Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel) and Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) dance together in this episode of “Gilmore Girls” on Netflix, a comfort show staple for the fall season.

By Julia Levi, Assistant Observations Editor

As a chill sets in the air and the leaves change colors, marking autumn’s debut into 2022, it marks the time to revisit Netflix for its fall TV shows. Now that WCHS students find themselves already knee-deep in work, it is the perfect time to take a break with these binge-worthy Netflix shows.

“The Crown”

First up is “The Crown,” a historical drama that has recently resurfaced with the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth II. “The Crown” follows a young Queen Elizabeth II (Claire Foy and Olivia Coleman) who ascended to the throne at mere 25 years old after the death of her father, King George VI. “The Crown” highlights political rivalries, romances and historical events as Queen Elizabeth II navigates her reign of the British Empire. This show is perfect for anyone who is not the biggest history lover, but has always carried interest in the royal family. Its combination of strong performances, directing and stunningly accurate sets thoroughly depict these real-life events. Anyone with an interest in the royal family and the inner workings of the British monarchy would easily learn from watching “The Crown.” Look out for the fifth season of “The Crown” coming to Netflix on November 9, 2022.

“Gilmore Girls”

Next up is a true 2000s classic, “Gilmore Girls.” The wholesome series revolves around mother-daughter duo Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel) as they navigate the ups and downs of motherhood, teenagehood, romances and most importantly, their bond with each other. Lorelai is a driven and energetic single mother who works as a hotel manager but has ambitious dreams for her career and Rory is an introverted yet brilliant teenage girl. Set in their cozy, small town of Stars Hollow, Conn., “Gilmore Girls¨ precisely embodies the aura of autumn. Without a doubt, the best episodes of the series take place during the fall. The show’s picturesque settings, autumn-like color palette and quirky humor make it the perfect show to watch while curled up on the couch with a pumpkin spice latte in hand.

“Dated and Related”

Now, is Netflix’s newest dating show released on September 2, 2022: “Dated and Related.” This isn’t TV’s typical reality dating show, but is one with an interesting twist. Pairs of siblings arrive at a luxury all-inclusive villa in the South of France with a mission to help their siblings find love. The contestants are challenged to support and wingman each other in order to help one another find a real connection, with a prize of $100,000 on the line for the most successful couple. While the concept is a bit out of the box, “Dated and Related” places a large emphasis on strengthening pre-existing bonds between the sibling pairs. This show is highly entertaining and contains all of the classic dating show tropes from love triangles and drama to instant chemistry and genuine connections. “Dated and Related” is an ideal choice for any reality television lover looking for a new binge-worthy show to spring into the fall season with.

“Cobra Kai”

“Cobra Kai,” the spin-off show of the Karate Kid franchise is another great fall watch. Whether familiar with “The Karate Kid” movies or not, this series is comedic and entertaining, making it an easy watch. The series begins with a focus on the infamous rivalry between Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) and Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio), formerly in the classic “The Karate Kid” film released in 1984. The fifth season, released on September 9, 2022, continues to include references and flashbacks from the second and third “The Karate Kid” movies, all while continuing the storyline of the old classic. “Cobra Kai” characters are portrayed as quirky, genuine and very real, making them relatable and fun to watch. There is no doubt that the series is successful as it has been nominated over seven times for Emmy awards. “Cobra Kai” is the perfect series for anyone looking for a hilarious, lighthearted drama.

“Manifest”

Last but not least is “Manifest,” the chilling drama centered around the passengers and crew of a “disappeared” New York flight. When the flight lands in New York, the passengers are horrified to learn that five and a half years have passed. The most puzzling part of this phenomenon is that the passengers and crew did not age a single day during their time away, and since their landing have received mysterious voices or “callings” in their heads from some sort of divine entity. “Manifest” is the perfect supernatural mystery series to keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is a great show choice for anyone looking for an eerie yet wildly creative plot. The fourth season of “Manifest” will be released on November 4, 2022.

The fall season comes with many new Netflix show releases, but also is the perfect time to revisit classics that never get old. From reality to comedy, Netflix never fails to provide an overwhelming number of shows that WCHS students are FALL-ing in love with this autumn.