Student Art Spotlight: Elizabeth Kronthal

Elizabeth+Kronthals+self+portrait+with+a+background+of+a+cluster+of+mountains.+

Photo Courtesy of Elizabeth Kronthal.

Elizabeth Kronthal’s self portrait with a background of a cluster of mountains.

By Ava Freeman, Features Editor

With artwork displayed at the John Hopkins annual art show, the Montpelier Studio contest, the Congressional art contest and the Montgomery County PTSA contest, WCHS junior Elizabeth Kronthal is a talented artist who has had many opportunities to showcase her artwork and skills to the public.

Leading up to these various events, Kronthal discovered her love for drawing in seventh grade.

“I always enjoyed arts and crafts as a child but didn’t really get into drawing until seventh grade, when I started doodling in my free time,” Kronthal said. “When my friends and family complimented my drawings, it inspired me to keep trying and practicing to improve my skills.”

The calming effect and the ability to be creative drew Kronthal into the art world as it gave her a way to relax and take a break from stress in her life.

“Art allows for me to gain a new outlook on life and my surroundings,” Kronthal said.

Since she did not take any art classes in middle school, Kronthal was able to teach herself many basic art skills. However, once she got to high school she began taking the studio art classes offered at WCHS where the teacher has helped her strengthen her skills.

“I started taking studio art classes that introduced me to a multitude of new mediums and techniques I hadn’t yet explored,” Kronthal said.

WCHS art teacher, Dana Mooney, has taught Kronthal for the past two years in both Studio Art 1 and Studio Art 2. She describes Kronthal as being a hard worker and very passionate in regards to her art.

“Elizabeth’s strength in her work is light layers that build soft colors and textures,” Mooney said. “She is dedicated to her art. She challenges herself with complex subject matter and content and works hard to develop detailed, meaningful and beautiful work.”

Kronthal loves being able to experiment with different artistic mediums to create meaningful pieces. Specifically, the combination of watercolor with colored pencil layered on top because of its smooth and detailed appearance.

With these mediums, Kronthal enjoys the style of realism because it is challenging and satisfying to create. She is drawn to being able to create something that really looks like what it is intended to be.

“Improving in realism really helps to develop general skills that aid in creating art of any other style,” Kronthal said.

One of Kronthal’s biggest inspirations in the art world is Norman Rockwell. He inspired her to use the theme of growing up in her artwork as many of Rockwell’s realistic portraits display families with people of all ages.

She also gets inspiration from her own life and experiences that she has went through. Often times, Kronthal will take her own photos and turn them into paintings or drawings.

“It encourages me to work on photography as well as studio art, while also adding more personal meaning to my pieces,” Kronthal said.

Within the past year, Kronthal has had her work displayed at many shows and contests. These various events have given her an opportunity to receive recognition and ways to build up her portfolio. She describes these experiences as being very rewarding and that they have inspired her to continue creating artwork.

“Elizabeth’s work was juried into the competitive Johns Hopkins and Montpelier Student Exhibitions this year,” Mooney said. “I am so proud of Elizabeth’s growth over the last two years and cannot wait to see what she creates in AP Studio Art Drawing next year.”

In the future, Kronthal is not yet sure where she will take her art. She definitely would like to continue with it as a hobby and possibly work with children by teaching them art.

“I did get a unique opportunity to teach a few art classes to elementary school children a few months ago, which was super fun for me and something I would love to do again in the future,” Kronthal said.