Maze Runner: The Death Cure thrills viewers

By Cherri Tung, Staff Writer

For those students who have watched the “Maze Runner” movies, the last installment is finally here. For those who haven’t? This is a good a place as any to jump on board.

“Maze Runner” is a science-fiction action adventure film series based on the “Maze Runner” novels by James Dashner. The soundtrack of the film is composed by John Paesano, who is an American film and television composer known for his work with the Marvel series.

Although the book is different from the film, it still has the same plot and adventures that lead Thomas and his friends on a ride they’ll never forget. The final film, “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” is directed by Wes Ball, and stars Dylan O’Brien (Thomas), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Newt), Kaya Scodelario (Teresa), Ki Hong Lee (Minho) and Will Poulter (Gally).

The film recently came out Jan. 26, and the plot is as good as it’s ever been. Thomas has been running around ragged during the first two films of the “Maze Runner” series; he first had to escape the Maze with his Glader friends in “The Maze Runner” released in 2014. Then, in “Maze Runner: Scorch Trials,” released in 2015, he had to endure the Scorch Trials, a deadly trek through a hot, barren wasteland.

At the end of “Maze Runner: Scorch Trials,” Thomas ends up in a white room alone. He had just completed the Scorch Trials. “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” picks up where we left off: Thomas is in that same white room. He has to stay in isolation for 26 days before they finally open the door. They eventually let him out and escort him to a room full of his Glader pals. Thomas has to lead the Gladers on one final, dangerous mission; they have to break into The Last City, which turns out to be one of the deadliest mazes of them all.

The Maze Runner is yet another dystopian teen film of The Hunger Games and Divergent, but it lacks their visual imagination. The action sequences— Thomas running at full pelt through the maze or fighting with his suspicious rival Gally— are well handled. The glitch is the absurdity of the premise and the weakness of the characterization.

All in all the film had a very satisfying end to the trilogy and was the best of the three.