CHS students look forward to fashion careers in future

By Fatima Yazdi, Social Media Editor

Fashionista: a designer of haute couture and devoted follower of fashion. The dynamic and global industry that is the fashion world better watch out, because CHS students are ready to conquer it.
While finding true passion and interests may be difficult for some, many recognize what they love to do at an early stage in their lives. Some CHS students already recognize their love for fashion, and hope to possibly pursue it as a career in fashion design.

According to sophomore Nura Dhar, she has known that she’s wanted to be a fashion designer since the fourth grade.

“It was always my after school activity… it’s what I’m most passionate about,” Dhar said.

She began taking sewing classes in 4th grade and continued to learn pattern making with a tutor. Now, she interns at Harper’s Bazaar Arabia, in which she helps out with fashion shoots, styling and logistics.
Similar to Dhar, senior Josie Monson discovered her passion for fashion early on.

“To me, fashion has always been a form of unspoken communication,” Monson said “Depending on my mood or the situation, I can choose to be whoever I want to be through my clothing.”

Monson continued to say how “it was always a way [she] could stand out and be different; to be unique.”
Both Dhar and Monson are members of Fashion Club, and currently take fashion class. They’ve both been members and have taken the class that coincides with it since each of their respective freshman years.

“The high school fashion courses that I’ve taken have helped me to develop my skills and passion for the field,” Monson said.

There are also other pathways to become involved with fashion at CHS. When sophomore Abbey Zheng heard of DECA, Distributive Education Clubs of America, she contacted a club sponsor at CHS and started her own DECA club.

Since then, Zheng, the president of DECA, and sophomore Charlotte Dublin recently won 4th in the state for the DECA Fashion Virtual challenge.

Though interests in fashion design are common, a career in the industry isn’t. According to The Balance, as of April 2017, there were slightly more than 23,000 people employed as fashion designers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts employment growth that will be slower than the average for all occupations through 2024.

Whether it’s a club or a class, students at CHS are expressing their passion and interests in fashion in their own ways.

jsdykdjfgjkdfhghdkfjghdjkghdjkfhgjkdfhgjkdfh

Fatima Yazdi, Features Editor

Fatima is part of the class of 2020 and currently serves as one of the three Features Editors. She’s a very dedicated member of The Observer. She’s commonly known for re-submitting literally all of her stories that don’t go own. When she’s not writing for The Observer, she enjoys listening to her favorite artists, practicing arabic calligraphy and electric scootering to her friends house. Fatima can’t wait to be a future #journalist.