J.K. Rowling announces eighth Harry Potter story

photo courtesy of J.K. Rowling Twitter​

The early awaited story following an adult Harry Potter is set to come out July 31.

By Becky Wolfson, Production Editor

Last week, author J.K. Rowling announced that she will publish an eighth Harry Potter story, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II, on July 31 Potter’s 36th birthday.

Originally a play, Rowling plans to digitally and physically publish the script the day after the show premieres at London’s Palace Theatre.

“I’m really excited that an 8th [story] is being published,” sophomore Melissa Rusagara said. “It will be an interesting read since it is not explicitly written by J.K. Rowling. I want to see how Jack Thorne, the playwright, will put his spin on the story and its characters.”

The play is set 19 years after the Hogwarts battle in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

According to the play’s website, Harry Potter is now an employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three children. As Harry deals with his past, his son Albus will bear the weight of an unwanted family legacy.

Eager fans can pre-order the story online now or wait until the final version is released.

According to Rowling’s website, the version being published on July 31 will be a Special Rehearsal Edition, the script prior to opening night.

Since the script is subject to change, the Special Rehearsal Edition will be available for a limited time, after which Rowling plans to release a Definitive Collector’s Edition at a later time.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to go see the play in London, but I’m definitely reading the book,” Rusagara said.