Take a break from your boring, morning meal

photo by Arielle Gordon

Senior Alexandra Conway loves her homemade chia pudding.

By Arielle Gordon, Arts Editor

The scent of a good, hot breakfast might be the only thing that “egg”cites you to get out of bed every morning.

For many, a typical breakfast consists of eggs, toast or cereal, but for some CHS students, breakfast is made up of less traditional foods.

“For breakfast, I will sometimes have chia pudding made with espresso,” senior Alexandra Conway said.

Chia seeds are part of the latest superfood craze and many people are scrambling to add them to their diet.

One tablespoon of chia seeds contains 60 calories, four grams of fiber, as well as some antioxidants, Omega-3s, calcium and protein.

However, some would rather start their day the same way that others end theirs, by eating dinner for breakfast.

Junior Jordan Goldsmith usually eats leftover dinner food such as steak, pasta, pizza or Chinese food for breakfast. She has been eating dinner for breakfast for about five years.

“I used to eat some breakfast food when I was little, but then I grew out of it,” Goldsmith said.
Some don’t eat breakfast before school, opting to nibble throughout the day.

Junior Iris Indig is usually too tired in the morning to eat a real breakfast, so she eats a snack during the morning to hold her over until lunch.

“I usually don’t eat breakfast, but I take a KIND bar with me and eat it during second period,” Indig said.

The time it takes to prepare and eat a meal also plays a factor in deciding what one should eat for breakfast.

Conway likes her chia pudding because it is quick to eat and easy to prepare.

“I started eating it because I didn’t have time for a slow breakfast, and you can put the pudding in a jar,” Conway said. “It’s really easy to make and super yummy.”

In addition to being easy to make and prepare, Conway’s breakfast contains both caffeine and nutrition, arguably the two most important elements of breakfast for a high school student.

“Originally I made the pudding with milk, but since I was drinking coffee, I decided to experiment with using espresso as my liquid of choice – turns out it worked great,” Conway said. “I started eating it in the middle of junior year, when my needs for caffeine and nourishment were at their peaks.”

If you are still in the market for an “egg”cellent breakfast, the Observer has some suggestions for you below.

Observer Recipes:

Microwavable Scrambled Eggs
Total Prep time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:
1 egg
At least 1/4 cup of milk
A dash of salt and pepper
Directions:
1. Crack egg into a microwave safe bowl.
2. Add in as much milk as desired.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir the mixture together.
5. Put the mixture into the micro-wave for 45 seconds.
6. Take your egg out of the micro-wave and check to see if it is cooked.
7. If it’s not, put it back in the microwave for increments of 10-15 seconds until it is cooked.
8. If it’s thoroughly cooked, grab a fork and enjoy your quick, easy and healthy breakfast!

Rocky Mountain French Toast (This one requires the use of a stove, but is still pretty quick!)
Total prep time: 7 minutes
Ingredients:
1 piece of bread
1 egg
Butter or cooking spray
¼ cup of shredded cheese
Directions:
1. Cut a circular hole about 1-inch wide in the center of the bread
2. Grease a griddle or frying pan.
3. Place your bread in the center of the pan.
4. Crack the egg into the hole of your bread.
5. After about 2 minutes, flip your toast.
6. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
7. Take your toast off of the stove.
8. Put it on a plate and sprinkle
with your favorite cheese.
9. Grab a fork and enjoy!

Alexandra Conway’s Chia Pudding

Prep time: prepare the night before and refrigerate overnight
Ingredients:
Milk, enough to fill half of the jar (espresso can be substituted for any portion milk for an extra caffeine boost!)
½ tsp of cinnamon
2 Tbsp of maple syurp
2 Tbsp of cocoa pudding
1 sliced banana
Handful of chocolate chips
Chia seeds, enough to fill half of the jar
Directions:
1. Find a jar that has a lid.
2. Fill the jar almost halfway with milk.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and tablespoons of cocoa powder. Mix well.
4. Fill the rest of the jar with chia seeds, leaving about an inch of space at the top.
5. Mix and refrigerate overnight.
6. Top with sliced bananas and chocolate. Enjoy!