Spinoffs offer new twist on familiar TV shows

Fall is the perfect time for warm apple cider, comfy sweaters and the arrival of spin-offs of beloved TV shows.

This season, two popular shows among students at CHS— The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars—are creating spin-offs. The Vampire Diaries’ spin-off, The Originals, premiered Oct. 3 and follows the lives of the original family, led by hybrid vampire-werewolf Klaus (Joseph Morgan, Immortals), and their return home to New Orleans. The show also features the Mikaelson family, the on-and-off villains of the show.

Ravenswood,

the spin-off for Pretty Little Liars, is a series that will follow Caleb, (Tyler Blackburn, Peach Plum Pear,) a retired bad boy who is now Hannah’s much-loved boyfriend. Ravenswood follows Caleb and four new characters as they uncover juicy secrets and a curse that links them together.

“For The Originals, I’m excited to see Rebekah and Klaus grow as characters,” freshman Rebecca Clem said. “I definitely think that it looks more exciting than Ravenswood.”

Ravenswood

premieres Oct. 22 after the Pretty Little Liars Halloween episode. Caleb’s transition to protagonist will allow fans to see him develop as a character. The vagueness and mystery of Ravenswood’s plot is a draw for students.

“I’m excited to see Caleb in his own show,” sophomore Samantha Sprague said. “I’m also excited to uncover the show’s secrets.”

However, not everyone is adding Ravenswood to their list of must-watch TV shows. Ravenswood’s ambiguous trailer features Caleb and four fresh new faces staring at mysterious feathers, and closes with the teaser: “a curse will fall.”

“The trailer looked boring,” sophomore Erica Matthews said. “The show doesn’t look like it will be as good as Pretty Little Liars.”