Lion King Shown in 3D

Hakuna Matata—The Lion King is back, and this time, in 3D.

Seventeen years after Disney’s The Lion King’s original release in theaters, people of all ages still cherish the timeless tale of a lion named Simba who must learn to accept his responsibilities.

Now that the generation that first experienced The Lion King has grown up, it is time for the tots of the 21st century to experience the magic. The highly-acclaimed movie was re-released Sept. 16.

Who could ever forget the wild and hilarious chants of Shenzi (Whoopi Goldberg, The Muppets)? Or maybe it’s the witty bickering of Timon (Nathan Lane, Stuart Little) and Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella, Chicago)?

But will screening the film in 3D really enhance the movie’s superior storyline?

Once upon a time, the 3D effect was a nifty tool that only a few movie directors dared to use. Lately, though, it has become almost second nature to incorporate 3D into films, regardless of its genre. For some, headaches may result. And frankly, people are getting sick of it, literally.

The Lion King’s beautiful portrayals of African wildlife, as well as its meaningful lessons, drive the film to the peak of the Disney movie food chain and exceed expectations. Adding the 3D effect only takes away from the film’s ingenuity.

Despite this downside in Disney’s plans to make The Lion King’s comeback more appealing to younger audiences, it will be a heartwarming childhood memory for many students.

Earning over $783 million internationally from its first release in 1994, The Lion King became the highest-ever grossing animated picture in the U.S. The highly-acclaimed film also garnered two Academy Awards and two Golden Globes Awards, including Best Motion Picture for Musical or Comedy.

Judging by the film’s tremendous achievement, it’s a no-brainer that Disney would attempt to carry on The Lion King legacy. After The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride (1998) and The Lion King 1½ (2004) proved to be meager attempts at milking the original film’s success; Disney gave up on the idea of making sequels, instead returning to square one.

Over the years, The Lion King has become a household name. Even the mere mention of the movie can brighten a rainy day. This family classic deserves to stay around and be shown for generations to come. But maybe next time, not in 3D.