‘The Roommate’ lacks suspense, development

The trailer of The Roommate offered its viewers a film with all the excitement and craziness of freshman year of college, but the actual movie was a complete letdown.
The Roommate, written by Sonny Mallhi and directed by Christian E. Christiansen, tells the story of Sara Matthews (Minka Kelly, Friday Night Lights), who arrives at her first year of college only to find that her seemingly normal roommate, Rebecca Woods (Leighton Meester, Gossip Girl), obsesses over and endangers her life.
From beginning to end, Kelly’s unrealistic acting ruins the suspenseful moods. Her lack of emotional reaction to scary moments is unbelievable and spoils any fear or energy that an audience should feel while watching.
The movie was also poorly directed. The transitions between scenes are too choppy, too fast and do not flow smoothly. For example, one moment Sara is at a party, and suddenly, before the viewer can process the scene, she is in a coffee shop with Rebecca. Viewers miss many parts of the movie just by blinking.
In addition, many awkward close-ups on the character’s face seem as if the director was attempting to show off how attractive the cast is instead of focusing on developing suspense or characteristics.
Like many thrillers, the plot follows a predictable structure. First, the killer acts innocently and earns the respect of the other characters. Then, without anyone noticing, she murders mostly minor characters. Ultimately, the other main character figures out about a secret that is crucial to why the villain is so evil, giving insight into some marginally important and psychotic disorder.
At 93 minutes, this movie is shorter than it should be. With more detail, the movie would be more interesting, as it would have better character development and genuine suspense. 
Despite the bad acting, awkward directing and predictable plot, there are a few aspects of the film that are unique and fun to watch. The music, paired with dramatic cinematography, enhances the mood of intense fear and suspense. The blaring sound of the violins fading in as anticipation rises produces an uncomfortable vibe and causes viewers to cringe as Rebecca creeps up on her victims.
This movie’s PG-13 rating is well-suited to its content. With a few scenes of sexual content and violence, viewers under the age of 13 should not see this movie. To be frank, however, no one over 13 should see this movie, as it is boring at every murder-less moment. If it is a snow day and a bored student is craving movie theater popcorn, this is a fine last resort to pass the time. Heading off to college next fall? Pick a roommate wisely.