‘Speak Now’ offers intimate glimpse into Swift’s romances

How much heartbreak can a talented, young, country star sing about without it getting old? Judging by her new album, Taylor Swift has a long way to go before anyone gets tired of hearing about her pitfalls.

Taylor Swift released her third album, Speak Now, Oct. 25 and sold more than a million copies in the first week. According to MTV.com, the last time a CD was as successful in the same time frame was 50 Cent’s The Massacre in 2005.

Known for her catchy tunes like “You Belong With Me,” “Our Song” and “Love Story,” the 20-year-old has made a name for herself in the music industry and shows no sign of slowing down.

Speak Now covers love, betrayal, despair, apologies and childhood nostalgia all while mixing in tunes that vary from her standard country-inspired songs. While not all the songs follow a country beat, she still remains loyal to her roots by balancing new and familiar sounds.

All the tracks offer a raw look into her feelings. Listeners feel as if they are the ones experiencing them. If they have, they can directly relate to the pain and suffering she portrays in the testimonials of complications in her life and relationships that she had—but slipped away.

“Dear John,” which some speculate is written about Swift’s former fling John Mayer, appears to reflect upon his lies, manipulations and the power he had over her, as she confesses, “I ignored when they said run as fast as you can/my mother accused me of losing my mind but I swore…I was fine.”

Along the same subject of broken relationships, but covered in a very different way, “The Story of Us” is thought to be about Swift’s past boyfriend Joe Jonas. The song speaks about being close to someone, but after everything ends, all they had shared has disappeared. “Now I’m standing alone in a crowded room, and we’re not speaking” she sings, possibly regarding the CMT Award show they both attended where they were reported not to have exchanged a single word. Swift is relatable to most teens in that she has a way of being open with her feelings, and finds the words to express what so many cannot.

Mixed in is a more hard-core song, “Haunted”, with sounds that are not present in any other of her usual country-inspired music. The song is reminiscent of Avril Lavigne combined with Paramore, but it retains her signature style of sending out her common message loud and clear. She reflects upon the events that happened with inherent anger and disappointment about the situation, “Something’s gone terribly wrong/ You’re all I wanted” she sings as the background sounds turns darker to emphasize her thoughts. Her harsh words mixed with the rock sound piece help fans to better understand the exact pain she is feeling.

However, not every song on her album is about men and their shortcomings. As in her sophomore album Fearless, Swift adds a ballad about family, “Never Grow Up” which delivers a similar message as “The Best Day” did in her sophomore album.

She encourages fans to remember their childhood and not take it or their families for granted, pinpointing her desire to stay young and naïve, like a kid. Her advice “don’t you ever grow up just stay this little,” exposes her yearning for a time when everything was simple, and when she had not yet experienced heartbreak.

A new twist on this album is her first apology song, “Back to December,” speculated to have been written about recent ex-boyfriend, Taylor Lautner, that requests forgiveness for what she did. This is the first time Swift asks for forgiveness, on any album, as she sings, “So this is me swallowing my pride, standing in front of you saying I’m sorry for that night.”

Although she apologizes for actions that happened months ago, she does not keep her current feelings a secret. She lets Lautner know “I miss your tan skin, your sweet smile/So good to me, so right,” making it hard not to accept her apology.

With new story lines, new confessions and experimentation with a slightly different genre of music, Taylor Swift’s third album is undoubtedly one of her best works yet, and will definitely be on repeat on iPods for a long time.