Music blogs make ‘Rolling Stone’ seem stone age’d

There have been too many articles written about the future of music.  Some writers say music died with the introduction of the Internet.  Others say music is just beginning to blossom as music-technology expands.  The truth is, no one really knows.

Amidst all of this confusion, one thing is certain: more people have access to more music.  Because of this, it seems as though more fans and critics are voicing their opinions about what they listen to through music blogs.

The idea behind a music blog is simple.  A blogger finds new music, streams it on his or her site, and reviews it.  Some influential blogs can make or break a band just by creating or killing its buzz.  What follows is a review of some of the best on  the web.

VACAY VITAMINS:

This blog, devoted to Electronic music, went public in March and is run by CHS  alumns Kia Rahimian and brothers J.C. and Michael Stanton.
It receives over 100,000 monthly visits. Vacay’s reviews are often short and sweet, with pithy statements such as “Bassy-tomfoolery-magic” that manage to describe the music effectively and with notable wit.
When the writers behind Vacay Wave like a band, they make it clear by using terms such as “vacay” and “vitamins” to describe tracks of artists such as Deadmau5, in its own positive yet distinctive way.
Vacay is aesthically pleasing with bold graphics, vibrant photos and a streamlined home page. 
All of this has combined to make Vacay an important Electronica blog, despite the website’s relatively young age. According to Michael Stanton, Vacay finds music through other blogs and submissions from artists and listeners alike.
“Vacay is a reflection on not only [the creators] and our contributors, who span London, New York, Miami, Sydney, and other large city centers, but also the listeners who comment, submit music, and enter our contests,” Stanton said.

FIRST UP:

Hipsters, hipster haters, fans of indie rock and fans of good writing all flock to their version of an online Mecca: Pitchfork music.  Pitchfork combines a live news-feed of band news and sound bites, brilliantly written and often witty album reviews, interviews with artists, and ‘ForkCast,’ a stream of new music that fans can listen to for free.  Pitchfork’s best asset is its writing: the reviews are often more thoughtful than those found in print publications who cut down their text to save space, and the writers’ knowledge of pure music is evident in each review.  Moreover, the reporters ask insightful and intriguing questions to the artists during the interviews, which often results in scandalous replies. 
Pitchfork’s style is best represented in its Newsfeed’s headlnes, which are blunt and witty (i.e. “Lou Reed makes Susan Boyle cry”).  ‘ForkCast’ offers a broad range of music and is a great way to gain exposure to new bands. With its expansive fanbase, Pitchfork has the power to make or break a fledgling band.  Pitchfork’s consistent updates, funny yet insightful articles, and excellent streaming make for the perfect website for indie rock fans.

PITCHFORK: