Young entrepreneurs try to ‘Make it in America’

In the song “Day ‘N Nite,” the artist Kid Cudi raps, “I try to run but see I’m not that fast, I think I’m first but surely finish last,” expressing feelings that many young adults have when they attempt to race to the top of the business hierarchy.

HBO’s new series How to Make it in America follows two young entrepreneurs as they attempt to hustle their way to achieve the American dream.

The show stars Ben Epstein (Bryan Greenberg, Prime) and Cam Calderon (Victor Rasuk, Lords of Dogtown), who are trying to make a name for themselves in the New York fashion world. Ben uses his talent and skill he gained from attending art school before he dropped out to design a denim line, while Cam uses his street smarts to help with the business side.

The pair does not go at it alone, they receive help from Cam’s ex-convict cousin Rene (Luiz Guzman, Anger Management) and their well connected friend Domingo Brown (Scott “Kid Cudi” Mescudi).

How to Make it in America draws emotions from Kid Cudi’s music, showcasing two young men who feel that they deserve to be on top of the world, but are stuck struggling at the bottom.

The plot follows multiple different storylines, which are all intricately woven into the show and keep the viewer entertained at all times. Ben and Cam borrowed a rather large sum of money from Rene and his mafia-like gang, and they pay him back with a weekly amount that they obtain from begging, odd jobs or hustling the public. Meanwhile, Rene is trying to start off his own business with a new energy drink called “Rasta Monsta.”

Aside from the entrepreneurial aspect of the show, Ben is attempting to patch things up with his ex-girlfriend Rachel (Rene Lake Bell, What Happens in Vegas), who is stuck between moving on to her new boyfriend or returning to Ben, but when Ben is moping around about Rachel, Cam and Domingo cheer him up by partying, which makes this show more adult-themed.

You find yourself rooting for Ben, Cam and Rene, just like how you found yourself rooting for Cudi’s popularity to grow with his music. They are people of substance stuck in a world filled with superficial wannabes, and the creators do a great job of making the audience feel attached to the characters.

Ben and Cam are characters that most young people can compare with themselves: talented individuals who haven’t been dealt the best hand, but are clawing their way to the top.