Modest hole in the wall makes for great barbecue

Urban BBQ is a good example of why not to judge a book by its cover. Upon arriving at 2007 Chapman Avenue just off of Rockville Pike, you might just want to turn around and go home after glimpsing the gritty, run down strip mall. However, by doing so, you are passing up some of the best barbeque in the area.

Upon entering the restaurant, you may feel a bit overwhelmed as you take in the scene. You will first spy the cornucopia of bumper stickers plastered to the cashier’s counter, each with a quirky saying such as, Promote catfish, run over a chicken! Don’t mess with Texas! Then, you will spy the large buckets overflowing with free peanuts and a few checkered tables with red chairs and stools crammed into the tiny space. However, the mouth watering whiff of really good barbeque should be enough to make you stay.

When you make your way over to order your meal, you are greeted by a large chalkboard boasting Urban’s mammoth menu. Then comes the difficult part: picking from the huge abundance of starters, sides and entrees. You may want to start with Urban’s signature “soul rolls” which consist of brisket, caramelized onions and cheese all fried up in crispy egg roll wrappers, or their “zesty” Buffalo wings.

For your main dish, the “Real Deal BBQ” section is the way to go. You can pick anything from their pulled pork or chicken to their beef brisket, slow cooked and flavored to perfection. Or if you’re in the mood for ribs, you can select something from their extensive rib menu, chock-full of delicious choices that nearly fall off the bone. A ½ slab of ribs along with one small side and bread costs $13.99 while a full slab costs $20.99.

If you’re not full by now, you may want to choose one of Urban’s deserts to finish off your dining experience. Bonnie’s Root Beer Float or Zach’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie create the perfect ending to a delicious and fulfilling meal.