Clever comedy show joins HBO’s Sunday lineup

Most men find solace in their favorite food, couch, movies or rebound girl after a break-up, but you wouldn’t see many look for comfort by working as a private detective.

In HBO’s new comedy Bored to Death, which airs Sundays at 9:30 p.m., Jonathan Ames (Jason Schwartzman, Funny People) begins to work as an unlicensed Private Detective after getting dumped by his girlfriend.

Schwartzman plays a sensitive and witty novelist, who seeks to be heroic so that he can get his girlfriend back who left him because of his apathetic habits that keep him from writing his second book and because of his chronic marijuana and alcohol use. 

Ames gets advice from his best friend Ray Hueston (Zach Galifianakis, The Hangover) and his boss George Christopher (Ted Danson, Cheers). Neither of them are good role models, as Ray is preoccupied with bartering different acts to get to have sex with his girlfriend, and George seems only to encourage Jonathan’s drug and alcohol habit.

Each week, the show’s topic ranges from receiving a colonic, to retrieving a lost script from a therapist whose 16-year-old daughter made out with Jonathan. The one motif is that every week, Jonathan tries to help somebody who responds to his Craigslist ad.

Jonathan has good intentions as a private detective, and in the end he usually helps out his client, but his investigations always seem to get him into trouble. His detective work has resulted in him being beaten up, locked in a bathroom by a drug addict and thrown in jail. Even though he is not the most effective detective, the viewer roots for him because of his refusal to be mean to anybody.

The best part of the show is Ray and Jonathan’s relationship as two insecure best friends. Ray is a talented but unsuccessful comic book writer, and both Jonathan and Ray are kind-hearted and confused by how to deal with women who try to help each other through their problems.

While the show’s positives far outweigh its negatives, it can be slow at times, and during some episodes the plot progresses so slowly that the show seems pointless. However, these portions of the shows are used to familiarize the viewer with the characters.

Creator and executive producer Jonathan Ames, previously a New York Times columnist, gives Bored to Death its intelligent comedy that plays on the personalities of people who haven’t quite grown up. The viewers can laugh at the characters and still have good intentions.

Bored to Death’s witty writing and spectacular performances by Schwartzman, Galifinakis and Danson will have you coming back for more and creating your own ad on Craigslist.