Graduation – 2020

By Cherri Tung, Arts Editor

The only thing I knew about high school was from the movies. 

Coming into high school, I was lost and scared. This was nothing like “High School Musical” had made it out to be. The school was so big and I felt so alone, it seemed like everyone had already made friends. Everyone was so academically driven and athletic–I had no idea where I would fit in as a K-pop loving person. 

Eventually, I found my people. While everyone had a big group of friends, I was content with the small group of people that I could call my best friends. 

I also found new interests, especially when I joined journalism. WCHS provided many opportunities for me to explore new passions and discover new things about myself. 

Ever since I was in middle school, I knew I liked writing. I was never good at math, so when I got into journalism I found my forte.

It was an incredible class that remained a constant for me. For three years, I was surrounded by all of these amazing writers and people who supported me. This class would always be filled with laughter and I hope it remains the same for the upcoming years. 

As I plan to minor in journalism for college, I aspire to have the same positive experiences and 

feelings that I once felt here.

As a freshman, I would always turn in my assignments on time and study for the test weeks before. However, moving forward in my high school years, I was cramming for tests the period before. It’s as if I had senioritis in my junior year. 

I realized the importance in doing things outside of academics, and I became a little less studious. I dedicated more of my time to learning more about myself and pushing boundaries. 

I remember going to D.C. with my friends in sophomore year, just to get away from all the stress and anxiety. For one day, I just didn’t want to worry about a test the next day or if my grades were up to par. 

It’s wild to think that next year I will be going to the Big Apple to pursue my dreams. I’ve really stepped out of my comfort zone and become a better person. 

WCHS has really allowed me to face my fears and to meet some of the greatest people I’d ever meet. I’m so glad to have been a WCHS Bulldog. 

Never in a million years did I think that I’d be writing my senior section while in quarantine. Ever since I joined journalism my sophomore year, I was intrigued by the senior section and I couldn’t wait to finally write mine as a senior. Although it is sad to not see the printed version of this article, it’s reassuring to know I am in this alongside my journalism peeps. 

My advice to you would just be, DON’T STRESS. High school isn’t as bad as people say it is. Even though there might be tests that you did not study for, or some encounters with people who you don’t vibe with, it does not matter. Grades are just letters and that should not define you or your high school years. Wherever you go, you’ll find haters, but as long as you have a positive attitude, nothing can get in the way of you achieving your goals. It may seem hard but if I could do it, so can you!