Children’s meds recalled

McNeil Consumer Healthcare announced April 30 a voluntary recall of children’s and infants’ over-the-counter (OTC) medication manufactured in the U.S. The recall includes children’s and infants’ Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec and Benadryl.

Families and faculty in the CHS community have long-used these medications and some are disappointed at the latest recall.

“I am frustrated because all of my children’s [OTC] medication(s) have been recalled,” English teacher Jeffrey Savett said.

According to mcneilproductrecall.com, McNeil’s official website, the company recalled these medicines because they do not meet quality standards. However, the company did not make the recall because of consumer health complications. Regardless, the site strongly recommends consumers halt the use of these products.

“I’m not surprised, there have been a lot of recalls of children’s [products],” Savett said. “Sometimes efficiency of production adversely effects quality.”

According to a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokeswoman, in a May 1 New York Times article, the recall is due to unsatisfactory routine inspection from federal health regulators.
Consumers can obtain a refund for their recalled medications by filling out a form supplied by McNeil.

“We had about five boxes of used or half-used [medications],” Savett said. “We had to check if they were recalled, which they were.”

Even though all the name brands of children’s (OTC) medications have been recalled, the generic brands are safe and still available on store shelves.

“I’m happy they caught it,” Savett said. “You have to be extremely careful with anything that is [administered]   to children.”