It’s game time for female referees in the NFL

The coin toss: the start of any NFL game, and the fans’ first glimpse at the stars of both teams and the referees. The fans’ view never includes that of a female referee standing at the 50-yard line flipping a coin because throughout the history of the NFL there has never been a female referee.
According to the NFL website, all that is required of candidates is having a minimum of 10 years of experience in officiating football, five of which must have been for varsity college or minor professional league, being in great physical condition and belonging to an accredited football association or having previous experience in football as a player or coach. Additionally, when submitting an application, candidates have to provide a detailed copy of his or her collegiate officiating schedule for the past three seasons.
It is astounding that there has never been a female referee.  People may think that women do not understand the game enough, but according to the NFL itself, referees are not even required to have ever played football. Referees can instead be a part of a football association, many of  which require attendance to classes and membership fees but do not require previous playing experience. The requirements also do not state what level of football one must play. So while women playing in the NFL is not apparent, women can meet this requirement by playing in high school thanks to Title IX.
In fact, the Super Bowl XLVI referee himself, John Parry, has no record of ever playing football. The referee in the most important game of the year, who missed facemask (pulling on the facemask of an opponent) and pass interference (having contact with the receiver or defender before the ball is caught) calls, has no apparent NFL player experience. Clearly the fact that women do not play in the NFL should not be a factor in denying them the right to referee.
Also, it clearly states that when a candidate is applying one should send a “detailed copy of his or her collegiate officiating schedule.”  The NFL is not specifically denying women the right to the job, so why are there not more women referees? It is not for a lack of candidates.
According to an August NBC Sports article, both Sarah Thomas, the first woman to officiate a major college football game and Terri Valenti, the second, are willing to referee in the NFL and are even excited by the thought. 
According to the same article, NFL vice president of Officiating Carl Johnson expects to see women referees soon.
 That was in August 2011; 20 weeks of football plus playoffs have passed since then. That is over 200 games where there could have been a female referee. 
So listen up NFL. If women can serve their country in battle they can call pass interference. You have no reason to not have female referees; there are already qualified and eager candidates. I have a deadline for you. You have until the next Super Bowl to stop twiddling your thumbs and get a woman referee in the NFL.