Students give back through cancer awareness campaign

CHS sports teams and clubs are uniting to raise money to support cancer awareness.

The football team, girls and boys soccer and girls volleyball teams and the Key Club have contributed to the cause either by wearing pink during games or by raising money for cancer research.

“I am thoroughly impressed with what the school has done to pull everyone together to support cancer [research],” Principal Joan Benz said.

The girls varsity soccer team supported cancer awareness by raising money for Red Card Cancer, an organization that Paul Payne, Bloomsburg University’s head soccer coach, founded in order to use soccer to promote the cause.

“I was fascinated by the idea of using the sport I love to increase cancer awareness,” head soccer coach Haroot Hakopian said.

Hakopian’s English classes also competed to raise money for Red Card Cancer.

“Coach Hakopian’s passion for the game of soccer sparked a movement that inspired not only soccer players to give back, but also the general student population of CHS,” said Jared Ferreira, Athletic Operations Director at Bloomsburg University.

The Key Club, an international service club, held a bake sale to raise money for Ewing Sarcoma, the form of cancer that senior Nachi Bhatnagar survived.

“I think it is really cool that the sports teams can make a big event at school that everyone gets behind,” Bhatnagar said.