Baseball works to build team unity

The CHS baseball team beat undefeated Whitman 6-1 April 16, improving its record to 3-6.

Whitman pitcher Michael Flack struck out CHS in the first inning, but the Bulldogs kept the intensity up throughout the whole game and scored four runs by the fourth inning. Senior captain pitcher Danny Weiss effectively shut down the Viking lineup, pitching a complete game with zero earned runs.

“We drew a bunch of walks which started our momentum,” senior captain Ian Shemer said.

Previously, the Bulldogs won 7-0 against Einstein at home April 11.

Senior pitcher Matt Kogan pitched six innings with no runs allowed and Weiss closed out the shutout. Senior Kelby Spring hit a double early in the game while senior Haden Saunders hit an inside-the-park home run.

“We played great baseball,” coach Scott Blackwood said. “We did all the small things it takes to win games. Fundamentally, by far, the best game we’ve played.”

The team lost 9-4 to Quince Orchard March 27 and 7-4 to Damascus March 29.

Kogan let up a grand slam in the first inning of the QO game and by the fifth inning the team was down 8-0. The team was able to score two runs in the sixth and seventh inning, but it was not enough to close the gap.

“Our pitching just wasn’t there, but with each game we are and have been improving little by little from everything like team chemistry to cutting down on less errors in the field and getting more base hits and runs,” Shemer said.

Although the Bulldogs have been inconsistent, the team won its first home game 3-2 against Magruder March 23.

Weiss had an excellent game, hitting a home run in the second inning. The team kept up the momentum, scoring two more runs later on. In the last inning, Weiss let up one run, but made up for it by striking out the last two batters.

The Bulldogs have potential to be a winning team, but have had difficulties working past their team differences. 

“So far this season, I feel we have been underperforming,” Blackwood said. “I think we do have a lot of talent but we aren’t playing as one unit. I think since spring break that is starting to change, but we have to continue to play for each other and put aside our individual goals to accomplish our team goals. When we do that and play for each other we play exceptionally well in all three phases of the game.”