Red Sox fan relives crushing defeat

I was in a major panic one night when I had difficulty breathing, terrible headaches, slurred speech, dizziness and anxiety. Some might have thought that I was having an anaphylactic reaction, but in reality, I just had symptoms of being a Boston Red Sox fan.

The Sox decided to play great baseball all summer, giving them a nine-game lead for a playoff spot going into the final month of the season, when they decided to blow it all away in September. It came down to the 162nd game of the season when the Sox were tied for the wild card in a must-win game against a pathetic Baltimore Orioles ballclub.

I will never forget that night the Sox lost to the Orioles in a heartbreaking manner, as I watched my beloved Sox complete the biggest collapse in the history of baseball.

I was humiliated, depressed and confused. To make matters worse, all the Orioles fans never let me hear the end of it. My family had heard so much mockery from Orioles fans that my dad could not take it anymore, so he banished Ian Plotnick (one of the biggest Orioles fans in our school) from the Denicoff residence.

Thankfully the suffering is over, and I am getting over the loss. But since I experienced one of the worst things that can happen to a loyal fan, I would like to give you advice on what to do next time your team lets you down.

First off, do not rob a Burger King. Shortly after the Sox final loss, I almost went down that road, and trust me, you do not want to make that mistake.

Next, right after your team loses brutally, you should not operate a moving vehicle. I know that after the Sox lost I was in no state to drive as my bloodstream was filled with anger. I suggest waiting until the next morning when you have calmed down or have a friend drive you who has not been affected by the game; it’s the safe thing to do.

I also suggest not texting or calling any friends immediately after the event because there is a good chance you will say something to them that you might not normally say when your team is not embarrassing you.

Furthermore, you should not hide in a tree. I know that hiding in a tree to escape the embarrassment may sound like a good idea at the time, but you have to remember, climbing a tree is extremely dangerous.

You also may wake up the morning after regretting some things from the previous night. Do not worry, this is not your fault because you were only being a true fan and you could not help yourself, it happens.