Girls tennis aims for fifth straight county title

With the tennis season four weeks underway, the girls tennis team is looking forward to another successful year on the court. The team has six wins so far over Kennedy (7-0) Paint Branch (7-0), Sherwood (7-0), Poolesville (7-0) and Richard Montgomery (6-1), ultimately hoping to match last year’s county title

The CHS squad has won the title seven out of the last eight years and is currently on a four-year streak as county champions. This streak has encompassed the entire high school tennis career of team co-captain and senior Jill Teitelbaum. 

“It’s a big challenge to keep being county champs,” Teitelbaum said. “It’s a big name to live up to, but we have the ability to succeed.”

Both she and coach Benjamin Woods are confident in the team’s ability.

“I know they want to do the best they can, they’re pushing themselves,” Woods said. “Jill and [senior] Tanya [Bagheri] have stepped up and they’ve been providing some fantastic leadership to move us in the right direction.”

Underclassmen and juniors have stepped up to fill the inevitable holes in the roster left by graduated students, providing some security to the roster for this season.

Last year’s squad went undefeated in the regular season and Teitelbaum’s job as captain is to motivate the team to do the same this year.

“We have a really strong team, a lot of underclassmen are stepping up and we have a strong team dynamic,” Teitelbaum said.

Woods is confident that the team will play strong, even in the face of the tough matches at the end of the season, including Gaithersburg (Sept. 30) and Whitman (Oct. 4).

“Walter Johnson, BCC and Whitman have always been great matches,” Woods said. “I know they have the potential and that they’re going to get out and do the best they can.”