Track comes back from injuries, continues season

Several CHS runners were chosen to participate in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania April 28-30, where they competed against the best high school runners from the East Coast.

Seniors Serenah Polite and Jennifer Maizlish and juniors Taylor Caulk and Christine Hildreth ran in the 4×100 meter relay, placing 105 out of 274 competing schools.

“We had a personal record of 51.41 seconds,” Caulk said. “This was a huge improvement over the other times we have run this season.”

Juniors Will Conway and Micah Phillips-Spencer, along with seniors Alex Kim and Robert Bowis, ran in the 4×400 meter relay, placing 61 out of 567 competing schools.

According to Caulk, Bowis ran a 49.18 second 400-meter, which is one of the best 400-meter times in the state. He passed two people in front of him, finishing first place in his heat.

Several CHS runners and throwers were chosen to participate in the Woodward Relays April 9 at Georgetown Prep. The boys tied Richard Montgomery for sixth place out of 28 competing schools, and the girls tied Severna Park for 16th place.

Sophomore Mike Hammer split 52 seconds in the 4×400 meter relay, helping the boys maintain a strong lead. In the 4×1600 meter relay, the boys placed second while the girls placed fifth.

Junior Nadim Elhage dominated on the field, placing first in the discus throw relay and fifth in the shot put relay.

“I think we could have done better in other events but we were missing some people because of the ACT that morning,” coach Paul Jacobson said. “This was a high quality meet with a lot of good competition.”

CHS participated in another meet April 13 at home, where they defeated both Northwood 84-38 and St. Andrews 92-35.

“We won all three relays and had first place finishes in eight out of the 12 individual events,” Kim said.

Polite placed first in both the 100 meter hurdle and the 300 meter hurdle.  Other top scorers include Kim, who won the 1600 meter run, Bowis, who won the 1400 meter run, senior Zoe Maslen, who won the 3200 meter run and freshman Jessica Weinreich, who won both the 1600 meter run and 800 meter run.

“A strong point right now would be our depth as a team across both sprinting and distance, which is always helpful in winning as a team,” Kim said.

Elhage helped the Bulldogs maintain a strong lead by crushing his opponents in both the discus throw and shot put. Sophomore Erica Roberts won the girls discus throw while senior Ronke Obayomi won the girls shot put. Taylor Caulk also jumped a 17’ 2’’ in the long jump, which is the third best in CHS history.

Both the boys and the girls won all three relays, despite the team missing some key players due to injuries.

“As a team everyone did their job well and a lot of people improved,” senior Remington Smith said. “But there were still some problems adjusting to the changes without Zach Raker and I running in the sprint relays. Hopefully Zach has a fast recovery and we can go back to the normal relay team from indoor season and run well at the big meets like counties next month.”