Hockey team enters playoffs after strong season end

Hot off of a 10-1 win against Blair during senior night, Feb. 4, at Cabin John Ice Rink, the hockey team now holds a record of 10-4.

The Bulldogs have only suffered one grueling regular season defeat this year against Wootton Dec. 17 and have since been playing with an increased desire to win in the regular season, and go deep into the playoffs.

“We hope to get by Whitman and Wootton and then we should be in the clear,” sophomore captain Connor Martin said about their postseason run.

The Bulldogs’ offense has remained prominent on the rink, and is bolstered by a new defense, led by senior captain Matt Senker, sophomore captain Zach Satin and sophomore Patrick Meigher. The team focuses on strengthening its defense, and at the midpoint of the season the Bulldogs have benefited from the defenseman’s strong performance. 

“The defense has become much more disciplined and Senker really holds them together,” Martin said. “Meigher and Satin also heavily contribute to the defense’s success.”
Following their dominating win against Blair, the team faced B-CC Feb. 11, winning 11-0. Meigher had an impressive two goals and two assists and senior goal keeper Spencer Trone led the defensive effort with an extraordinary shut out.

“It was a collaborative effort by the whole team,” junior forward Alex Dourian said. “Everyone played up to their potential and pulled their weight.”

Wootton has continued to dominate the rivalry as they won the state championship last season, and the Bulldogs hope to meet them in the playoffs.  First they defeated Whitman Feb. 16, 7-2, during the first round of playoffs at the Rockville Ice Arena.

“We need[ed] to shut down their playmakers early and make sure to shut down their offensive line,” Dourian said.  “We need[ed] to work the corners, shoot more, and fight for the puck in front of the net.”

After a strong showing against Whitman, the Bulldogs upset arch-rival Wootton, Feb. 18, 6-2, advancing to the state semifinals.

“We rallied behind our big win against Whitman and made sure not to make any stupid penalities,” Dourian said.

Next the Bulldogs are set to play against Marriotts’ Ridge at the state semifinals. The winner of that match will move onto the state finals at the Laurel Ice Rink and will face the winner of the Urbana and Broadneck game.