Hockey begins season with dominating victories

Losing to Wootton in the first round playoffs in the previous season, the ice hockey team showed its desire for redemption as it began its season with two consecutive wins against a Poolesville/Quince Orchard team Dec. 3, 11-1, and Damascus Dec. 10, 12-1.

In the previous regular season, the team only lost one game to Whitman in the regular season and suffered a loss to Wootton in the first round playoffs.

“This year we are hoping to remain undefeated in the regular season and go deep in the playoffs,” senior Matt Senker said.

The team showed its improvement in defense, which it has been focusing on since last season, as they only allowed one goal each game so far.

“Our defense was on track and we were able to stay organized and get into our zone which is key to a good defense,” Senker said.

Following the win against Poolesville/Quince Orchard, CHS was able to gain another big win against Damascus, one of the top teams last year.

“Our win against Damascus showed us that our team is looking pretty good this season and showed us that we can have a good season,” junior Alex Dourian said.

The team looks to rely on seniors Matt Spivak and Curtis Milkman on the offensive end and improve its defensive end with Senker along with the help of sophomore captains Zach Arden and Connor Martin.

“This season we need to focus on improving defense and getting into zone,” Dourian said.
Despite the loss of key players such as David Finder, Will Reich and Kohler Brafford, the team looks to continue its success. With the experience of the team along with the new addition of talent, Dourian expects the team to reach the playoffs and end the regular season undefeated.