Baseball senior leaders, baseball starts strong

The baseball team fell to rival Wootton 8-1 after being tied after five innings April 24.
The loss to Wootton drops the record of the Bulldogs to 5-3, and was not the game the team hoped to play after defeating RM, 5-0, April 22.

CHS also lost to Walter Johnson 4-1 April 20 in a game played under the lights at Shirley Povich Field. They fell behind early to WJ and never could recover the lead.

“We weren’t aggressive at the plate,” senior Eric Skrzyniarz said. “We could have scored a lot more runs.”

Prior to that, CHS took on Gaithersburg April 17 at home. The Bulldogs won 12-2 in only six innings as the mercy rule came into effect. CHS took a 1-0 lead in the second inning when Skrzyniarz stole home. The team then exploded in the third and fourth inning, scoring four runs in each. Senior Seiya Eguchi launched a two-run home run in the third and Skrzyniarz delivered a two-run double in the fourth.

Senior captain Harris Fanaroff pitched five innings, allowed two runs and struck out nine batters before handing the game off to sophomore Danny Weiss in the sixth inning, where he closed out the game in only seven pitches.

Weiss also closed out a 4-2 home win against Rockville April 9. Senior captain Bryce Shemer pitched six innings, only allowing two runs.

After falling down 2-0 in the top of the fourth inning, Skrzyniarz knocked in three runs with a bases-loaded double in the bottom of the fourth.

The Bulldogs have not always had such an easy time closing out games. After jumping up nine runs on Northwest April 15, they allowed the Jaguars to score five runs in the sixth inning, and four runs in the seventh to make the game closer.

To help the Bulldogs, Shemer then delivered with two homeruns and a triple in a seven RBI performance.

The first loss of the season for CHS came against Magruder April 7. After jumping out to a 7-1 lead after the third inning, Magruder scored six runs in the fourth to tie the game. The Bulldogs were shut out the rest of the game and in the bottom of the seventh inning Magruder had a walk-off hit to win 8-7.

“In one inning we can lose intensity,” Shemer said. “We feel we can stomp on everyone so we begin to lay back.”

The team has its eyes set on the future, and is not letting the early losses be a hindrance.

“We are going to have a great rest of the season,” sophomore Ian Shemer said. “We have a good balance of talent and team chemistry that will help us have a successful outcome this May.”