Athlete of the Month: Alex Goodman

When senior Alex Goodman steps into the batter’s box, it’s only him, his bat and the pitcher. No worries about tests, colleges or coaching drama. Just a nice, easy swing of the bat.

For 13 years Goodman has been playing baseball and loving every second of it, especially this season, during which he has posted a .390 batting average. Not only does he have one of the top averages in the area, he has excelled at every position he has played.

“He has played shortstop, second and third base and pitched,” coach Wesley Russ said. “In every role he has either been the best player or one of the top players.”

According to Russ, during the game, Goodman makes sure that the whole team is focused and knows exactly what is going on on the field. In practice, he brings the team together before they warm-up and reminds them to concentrate on baseball and work hard.

“He helps me with my throwing mechanics at shortstop,” junior Bryce Shemer said. “He has helped us tremendously at pitching this year.”

According to Russ, no matter the demands that are asked of him as a captain, Goodman always has time to make sure all the players on the team know exactly what they are doing, especially the younger players. He motivates them and helps his teammates be the best they can possibly be.

Shemer, who has been on the team with Goodman for three years, describes him as determined, and has seen him improve not only on the baseball diamond but also as a person.

“[He taught me] to focus on playing the game,” Shemer said. “[And to] not focus so much on the drama that has been going on this year.”

Goodman has been consistent in his high school career, starting at shortstop as a sophomore and batting .400 in the same season. He was also named an honorable mention for the All-Gazette baseball team last year.

Losing a player like Goodman is never good for a program, but he hopes the team will continue to improve without him.

“[I hope they will] come [out] on top, play through adversity and have a winning season,” Goodman said.