Is senior skip day really worth it?

Is senior skip day really worth it?

On Nov. 1, only two cars sit in the senior parking lot.  Nov. 1 2019 was senior skip day and very few seniors showed up to classes.

On Nov. 1, only two cars sit in the senior parking lot. Nov. 1 2019 was senior skip day and very few seniors showed up to classes.

Courtesy of Sacha Feldberg

Courtesy of Sacha Feldberg

Courtesy of Sacha Feldberg

By Sacha Feldberg, Arts Editor

It’s Friday, Nov. 1: senior skip day. There are just 6 kids in my Research Project class today, and 8 in AP Statistics. Nineteen have showed up to AP Spanish—out of a class of about 30—but only four are seniors. 

I ask senior Sharol Hsieh in Honors World why she came to school today. “Why not?” she says. “That’s like asking me why I drink water.”

Hsieh explains to me that just like school, drinking water is just something we do. We don’t question why we do it. It’s just a normal part of life. 

Senior skip day is a ‘day off’ for only high school seniors to celebrate finishing their college applications, which are due at midnight on Nov. 1. Anyone who comes to school is probably done with them. It’s not an official day off. You could get an unexcused absence, but most people figure out a way to avoid it.

In fact, two senior girls come in with their doctor notes at 11:55 or so. They give their notes at the attendance office and sign in. They have at least one AP class in the afternoon and don’t want to miss anything— but after, they’ll leave. They don’t want colleges to see their absences. They’re going to leave early and have unexcused absences for their last class, but they’re fine with that. It’s easy for them to escape because they both have parking spots.

“You’re supposed to be these big, bad seniors,” one of my teachers tells us. “But then even on senior skip day, you get fake doctor’s notes. You’re afraid of the unexcused absence on your record.”

I’m in school today because I have things to do. I had previously set up an interview with the Principal for a different article, about Pink Out Day and school spirit. I need to go to that. I’m also worried about missing work.

I like my AP Spanish class—it’s actually one reason I’m glad to be here today. I had known my teacher would have something prepared for everyone. She comes through. “This material is important for your Quarter One report cards,” she tells us. “Kids who aren’t here, it’s really too bad, I’m not going through this material again.” I’m thinking this is great. The poor souls that are in today don’t want to feel like their time was wasted.

Senior Ashley Chen tells me she has to be in school today because WCHS volleyball requires the whole team to be at school. No school, no meet. Senior Emily Shimabukuro, the girl behind me, is in the same situation. She plays field hockey.

Even though seniors do feel like they have the freedom to leave school when they want, people shouldn’t. WCHS seniors are all going to college next year. Balancing commitments is just a part of life, and we have to learn how to get used to it. We can’t just blow off one thing to do another thing.

Seniors shouldn’t wait until Nov. 1 because it’s the deadline. It’s stressful to wait, and we don’t do our best work when we wait until the last minute. Creativity happens in a relaxed space in your head. You can’t rush it. College essays especially can’t be hurried. Sometimes the best drafts of college essays take not only weeks, but months.

I finished seven applications on Monday and I only have one more to do tonight: my Early Decision application. My applications are in, I did not miss school and I feel better because I feel like I’m on top of my work.

In fact, I have enough time on my hands to do something fun. Maybe I’ll skip swim practice and watch a movie tonight.