Graduation Speaker

Photo courtesy of Tisha Thompson

By Brandon Li, Circulation Manager

Journalist Tisha Thompson will speak at the Class of 2016 graduation May 27 at DAR Constitution Hall.

Thompson, an alumna, graduated from CHS in 1995, and is currently an investigative reporter for the NBC News4 I-Team.

“Speaking at my high school must be one of the best honors of my life,” Thompson said.

Before working for NBC News 4, Thompson graduated from Princeton University and then attended the University of Missouri Graduate School of Journalism, where she earned her Master’s degree. Thompson then worked at MTV News, where she started her journalism career.

Thompson has worked all around the country, including in Paducah, KY and Columbia, MO. Thompson also worked at channel 2 in Baltimore and at channel 5 in Washington, DC before joining NBC News4.

“The stakes are higher,” Thompson said. “I do investigative reporting, and it’s tough because I’m dealing with very complicated stories on a daily basis.”

Class of 2016 sponsor counselor Jennifer Oristian is excited to have a former CHS student to speak at the graduation.

“It’s always fun when someone comes back to speak after they graduated,” Oristian said.

In 2015, Thompson won the Gracie Award for Best Reporter in the nation. Thompson has received 21 Emmy Awards, 12 Associated Press Awards and is a five-time Investigative Reporters and Editors finalist.

“It’s amazing to be back,” Thompson said.