First African American History Museum to Open

By Rebecca Jackson, Online Features Editor

The National Museum of African American History and Culture was established by an Act of Congress in 2003 and will open Sept. 24.

It will be the only museum in the world solely dedicated to displaying both the past hardships of African American life and celebrating African Americans’ successes and contributions to U.S. history.

“I believe it is about time that we have a museum that focuses on American history through the lens of the African American experience,” assistant principal Maniya Jules said. “It is necessary to preserve the African American journey so that its challenging and rich history is not forgotten.”

The museum will play a vital role in reminding citizens of America’s history of discrimination and violence towards blacks, so that people do not forget it and repeat it.

“As much as things change and progress is made, our communities still struggle with many of the same challenges,” Jules said.

The museum will include pictures, media, and personal documentation that display the changing history of African Americans from the 1700’s to present day. To walk through the National Museum of African American History and Culture is to walk through time by reliving life through the eyes of a slave, an abolitionist, a free rider, a biracial couple, a singer, an artist, an entrepreneur, and most recently the

U.S. President.

According to Ngwu, he is looking forward to seeing the important achievements many African American achievements have made in addition to addressing head on the severity of slavery and racism, something that textbooks tend to gloss over.

Although the museum is four months from opening, the announcement of the opening date has generated much excitement and discussion.

“The museum portrays the hardships that African Americans had to endure, generation to generation, facing racism and discrimination,” sophomore and member of the Black Student Union Ciana Hoggard said. “We’re still standing.”