Subscribe to The Observer Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Shark Puncher logo

Senior becomes “Shark Puncher”

Noah Salzberg, Online Features Editor
May 30, 2014

A typical reaction upon hearing a story about a kayaker who was chased by a shark would likely either result in laughter or fear. Senior Micah Green, however, decided to react by designing his own app, Shark Puncher, which will be available on the App Store in late May. The game is a multiplayer... (more...)

photo1

‘Beezing’ trend swarming through CHS student body

Noah Salzberg, Online Features Editor
April 30, 2014

A new phenomenon has spread through the halls of CHS like wildfire, and this new trend is unlike many others. Simply put, it involves Burt’s Bees Peppermint lip balm. “Beezing,” as it is called, is to spread Burt’s Bees peppermint lip balm on one’s eyelids to obtain a weird yet enticing... (more...)

class of 2014 fundraiser photo

Class of 2014 holds mulch kickoff fundraiser

Noah Salzberg, Online Features Editor
March 27, 2014

To kick off the annual mulch sale weekend, the class of 2014 had a fundraiser at the Chipotle in Georgetown square March 25. The fundraiser’s intention was to gain extra revenue for the class of 2014’s year-end events, including Graduation, Prom, and the Senior banquet. “We knew we would... (more...)

‘Observer’ asks CHS, “What’s in your trunk?”

Jordan Maser and Noah Salzberg
March 13, 2014

Senior Njord Soevik is on his way to a party. He parks his car, walks around back to his trunk and pulls out a sombrero. Instantaneously, Soevik becomes the life of the party, all thanks to the funky hat he happens to keep in his trunk. Many students and staff members have odd items stowed... (more...)

Debate: should U.S. atheltes have competed?

Noah Salzberg, PUblic Relations Manager
February 26, 2014

The Olympics are a storied sporting event, with participants from around the world. It is the pinnacle of all athletic achievement, a place where history is made and where legends are born. Despite its outstanding tradition, many United States citizens supported a boycott of the 2014 Winter... (more...)

Noah online pic

BCS Championship Preview

Noah Salzberg, Public Relations and Social Media Manager
January 9, 2014

Tonight, the Florida State Seminoles will take on the Auburn Tigers in the 2014 VIZIO BCS National Championship Game. This marks the culmination of an era, as next year a four-team playoff will decide the best team in all of college football.   The two teams have taken entirely different... (more...)

Fox.Football (2)

Football stays optimistic despite struggles

Noah Salzberg, PR/Social Media Manager
October 30, 2013

The varsity football team lost 6-3 to Gaithersburg Oct. 11, marking the first time in four weeks that the team has put points on the board. The Bulldogs have been outscored 181-3 in its previous five games. The start to the season has been rough for the Bulldogs, losing 52-0 to Quince Orchard... (more...)

Noah Salzberg_NBA

The Observer Previews the Upcoming NBA Season

Noah Salzberg, Public Relations and Social Media Editor
October 29, 2013

The NBA 2013-2014 season begins tonight, Oct. 29, as the Miami Heat, the 2012-2013 reigning champions take on the Chicago Bulls. There are many headlines this season, including Derrick Rose’s return after missing last season with a torn ACL and Miami’s bout for a third consecutive championship. Unlike... (more...)

Resource teacher competes

Danny Gordon and Noah Salzberg
September 30, 2013

Resource teacher Brielle Dana represented Team USA in the Maccabi games this past summer, finishing third overall in the triathlon event. Dana recorded a time of 2:22 in the triathlon, finishing first for the 25-29 age group. “Because I met so many people throughout the trip, during the... (more...)

roddy sports

Art teacher inducted

Danny Gordon and Noah Salzberg
September 30, 2013

Art teacher and swim and dive coach Brendan Roddy will be inducted into the Salisbury University Athletics Hall of Fame Friday, Oct. 11. Roddy, who started swimming competitively when he was 11, began to swim year round at the age of 13 and swam long distance throughout high school and college. “My... (more...)

Boys Volleyball

Boys Volleyball suffers disappointing playoff run

Noah Salzberg, Public Relations Editor
May 29, 2013

The boys volleyball team lost to Watkins Mill 3-0 in its first round playoff game May 2. The loss put an abrupt end to a great season for the Bulldogs, as the team finished with a 7-4 record. “I knew this would be a good season,” junior setter Alex Fang said. “This is the... (more...)