Student influx causes locker shortage, mixed reactions

A large increase in student enrollment has lead to a locker shortage, resulting in some students not being assigned a locker.

The freshmen class presents a problem because it is one of the biggest classes CHS has ever had. There has also been a recent increase in private school transfer students.

Lockers were distributed in homeroom on the first day of school based on the number of students in each homeroom class.

According to assistant principal Brandes, teachers were told how to Doreen lockers, and every student should have had the chance to get one.

Despite the shortage, students’ opinions vary on whether having a locker is necessary.

According to junior Laura Lambergman, she never used a locker much in previous years because it was inconvenient and not on the way to any of her classes.

Some students, however, would have a hard time without their locker, and would have trouble carrying all their belongings throughout the day.

“My backpack would be heavier [if I did not have a locker],” sophomore Hannah Murray said. “People should share lockers so everyone can get one without a problem.”

Other students would like lockers, but were not given them.

Junior Sathya Ram, who was not given a locker, wishes he had one but “doesn’t mind carrying the extra weight.”

Any student who needs a locker and did not get one, can see business manager Jim Shovlin in the business office at lunch to be assigned a locker.