Zohra Salon moves in to Blockbuster space

Walking up to what used to be the Cabin John Blockbuster is a sentimental experience for many disappointed customers who quickly discover that one of the few local movie rental stores has closed down.

Although the store had recently assured people that it would not be closing down, reality set in when Zohra Salon went public with its plans to take over the store.

“We are making [it into] a unisex salon and an upscale barber shop, with an old school hot shave and all that stuff,” Zohra Salon owner Ofeer Marwani said.

The popular salon, also located in the Cabin John shopping center, has been lucky enough to maintain good business throughout the bad economic times, so much so that they needed to expand their store.

“We need a bigger location because we are busy and we want a new concept,” Marwani said.

This new concept is a luxurious take on the classic barber shop and is expected to be opened sometime between the end of April and the beginning of May.  The expansion will likely attract business, but many students are still grieving over the loss of the Blockbuster.

“It is going to be a lot more inconvenient to get movies now because there are no more movie rental stores close by,” junior Julian Debenedetti said. “The next closest one I know of is in Rockville.”