Girls Volleyball Shows Promise

The girls volleyball team bounced back by winning three games in a row after falling to Blake, 3-1, Sept. 8 in the season opener. Unfortunately, the streak ended at 3 after a 3-0 loss to rival Wootton Sept. 22.
CHS followed the season opening loss with a win against Einstein 3-1, Sep. 11. The Bulldogs then went on to beat Blair, 3-2, Sept. 14 and Whitman, 3-0, Sept. 16 in two important games.
“We lost our first game, but both teams were equal,” sophomore Vanessa Zhang said. “We can beat them if we play again.”
The team plays with a lot of poise and has a strong defensive game which will keep the Bulldogs in a lot of games this season.
“I feel we have played well every match this season,” coach Amanda Cook said. “The team is pulling together and doing what it takes to be successful.”
Right after the opening loss, the season took a turn for the worse after three players left the team, during the first week of school.
“We had a large team this season,” Cook said. “We are now down to 12 which is still a good number to have for volleyball.”
Senior captains Kelen Jiang and Erica Chao are faced with the task of leading this team. They also hope for Zhang to help fill the void left by graduated players.
“Right now Vanessa is the only underclassmen on varsity, but we expect others to step up,” junior Diana Chu said.
When every CHS team begins its season, it has two goals: make the playoffs and defeat Wootton. Unfortunately, the team lost to Wootton but still had high hopes for the season.
“They’re in our division,” Senior Grace Xia said “we were hoping for a division title.” 
CHS will play Northwest Sept. 30 at Northwest.