A review of this summer’s hottest hits

Summer and music have always gone hand in hand. Whether it be listening to music during free time, or rocking out at a party, tunes are an important part of this season. Here is a short list of the most notable tracks released in the summer of 2012.

Sleeping with Sirens, If You Were a Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack EP, June 25

Sleeping with Sirens is usually associated with more hardcore genres, as most of their music usually involves at least a little bit of screaming. However, a whole new side of lead singer Kellin Quinn is shown in their most recent EP, which hit the top of iTunes’ rock charts. The entire EP is acoustic, with Quinn debuting a softer sound. His unique countertenor voice is almost feminine, displaying his impressive range as well. If You Were a Movie is a completely new sound from the band, and hopefully Sleeping with Sirens will release more of this type of music.

Song to listen to: “With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear”

Maroon 5, Overexposed, June 26

This album is definitely more pop than rock, but that doesn’t necessarily make it bad. In fact, it seems impossible for Maroon 5 to make an album that isn’t worth listening to at least once. Overexposed is definitely reminiscent of their last studio album, Hands All Over, which yielded such hits as “Stereo Hearts” and “Moves like Jagger.” Several hit singles have been released from Overexposed, including “One More Night” and “Payphone,” but these songs have already been overplayed on the radio. Most songs on this album have a similar sound, but slower songs like “Sad” are just as good.

Song to listen to: “The Man Who Never Lied”

We the Kings, Party, Fun, Love & Radio EP, July 3

This EP has just one new song, with the rest of the track being made of acoustic covers of old hits from their latest album, Sunshine State of Mind.  “Party, Fun, Love & Radio,” the new song, provides a unique sound for the band; it’s very energetic and upbeat, more so than their previous songs. Though their old songs, such as “Skyway Avenue” and “Check Yes Juliet,” fits singer Travis Clark’s voice a bit better, being adventurous is always appreciated. However, this song has so much going on that it seems a little too pop oriented; there are elements reminiscent of Katy Perry’s “California Girls” among other things. The acoustic version, however, has a different tone and improves upon the original version.

Song to listen to: “The Secret to New York (Acoustic)”

William Beckett, Winds Will Change EP, July 17

This is the second of three installments for William Beckett, the former front man of pop punk band The Academy Is… . As seen in the previous EP, these songs offer a more mature side of Beckett, as he switches from pop punk to an alternative sound. This EP does not disappoint, and listeners can look forward to the third track being released later this year.

Song to listen to: “Warriors”

Yellowcard, Southern Air, Aug. 14

This album is definitely reminiscent of the earlier days of Yellowcard, which brought hits such as “Ocean Avenue.” This is their second album since coming back from a 2 year hiatus and their eighth album overall, and with appearances from All Time Low’s Alex Gaskarth, We Are the In Crowd’s Tay Jardine and ex-Hey Monday member Cassadee Pope, this is definitely an album for pop punk lovers. The bonus cover of Coldplay’s “Fix You” is a nicely done addition. It’s definitely an impressive album for a band that has been in the business since 1997.

Song to listen to: “Telescope”

Matchbox Twenty, North, Sept. 4

This album was the most recently released track, coming out at the tail end of summer. This is Matchbox Twenty’s newest studio album in ten years, excluding the new material they released a few years back for their compilation album Exile on Mainstream. Despite the time they took for two hiatuses, the band is back with a similar sound that does not disappoint. While some songs are definitely better than others, this album is an impressive comeback for a band that had so much success in the early 2000s.

Song to listen to: “Radio”