Senior whistle tradition has ‘worn out its welcome’

It is a long-held first-day-of-school tradition for CHS senior girls to arrive at school decked out in themed apparel and bombard the arriving underclassmen, primarily freshmen, with whistle blowing.

However, the  administration recently created a new rule for the upcoming school year that bans the use of whistles on the first day of school in hopes of preventing possible bullying or harassment.

According to assistant principal Doreen Brandes, the school received many complaints this year from students, teachers and parents that the seniors’ whistle blowing was similar to an act of hazing. Brandes believes that CHS should be able to show that it is an educational environment with positive fun, especially on the first day of school.

“It is a tradition that has worn out its welcome,” Brandes said. “Last year was a real eye opening experience.”

According to Brandes, in recent years, this simple tradition has been extended beyond its limits. Students have turned more aggressive.

However, some students, despite being the victims of the senior pranks, see the fun in this tradition.

“It was intimidating, but it was a fun example of school spirit,” freshman Olivia Lee said. “Although it was scary, [the seniors] didn’t really hurt anyone.”

As the current juniors prepare to embark on their senior year, some are upset by this new rule, and prefer that the tradition be left as it is.

“Everyone else got to do it,” junior Julia Bell said. “It was done to us, and now we [should] get to do it.”

While it may seem unfair to the rising seniors, administrators believe that the rule serves the common good of CHS students. Now, the upcoming seniors must figure out a new tradition.

“It’s something we can agree to disagree on,” Brandes said. “I can’t wait to see what they are concocting for next year.”

According to Brandes, there will be an announcement made at the end of this school year warning students to leave the whistles at home.