Flood at Eggo factory results in waffle crisis

In a long list of shortages our nation is facing, including jobs and money, we are in the midst of yet another crisis–The Great Eggo Shortage of 2009.

According its website, the Kellogg Company recently experienced supply constraints due to flood damage in their bakery in Atlanta.

“The [people] who want to buy [Eggos] are upset, but there is nothing we can really do but wait,” said John, an employee at the Cabin John Giant who would not give his last name. 

An Eggo representative refused to comment.

According to the Kellogg website, the Eggo team is working “around the clock” to have the product back in stores as soon as possible, which is expected to be sometime in the middle of 2010.

Eggos are well known for being convenient and delicious, which puts them in high demand and students out of luck for the time being.

“Eggos are really convenient to make on school days,” freshman Sara Gallagher said. “[I eat eggos on school days] once a week, generally on Fridays.”

Many Eggo enthusiasts are willing to spend any amount of money to get their hands on the coveted waffles. A 24-pack of Eggo waffles sells for $5.40 at the Cabin John Giant, but eBay users are selling 16-packs for up to $60.
The shortage of Eggo waffles is forcing students to buy what they consider to be less desirable brands such as Van’s Waffles or Aunt Jemima.

“[Eggos] taste as good if not better than the other brands, especially Aunt Jemima.” sophomore Daniel Friedman said.

As long as Americans have to leggo their Eggo, breakfast will never be same for this waffle-deprived country.