CHS Athletic Program Welcomes New JV Girls Soccer Coach

By Jackson Resnick, Social Media Editor

The Bulldog athletic program will welcome Monica Tarzy as the new head coach of the JV girls soccer team.

Monica also happens to be third member of the Tarzy family to currently hold a coaching position at CHS. Her father, Arnold Tarzy, who is the head coach of the Boy’s Varsity soccer team, is entering his tenth season as head coach, while his son Rob is entering  his second year as coach of the golf team..  

Considering the great success that her family name has had at the school, Monica may face added pressure going into her first season. Arnold has had 10 winning seasons with Boy’s Varsity occer team, and Rob has lead the golf team to a state championship.

“I do feel some sort of pressure,” Monica stated. “But, not due to the fact that my family has been successful at Churchill. It is more because of the soccer program itself being successful historically. The parents look for their teams to always win and be great, and if we don’t do well I would feel like I am letting the community down.”

Despite being new to the CHS family, she is no rookie when it comes to leading a soccer team. With nine seasonsas head coach for the Girl’s Varsity soccer team at Richard Montgomery and years of coaching experience at the club level for Potomac Soccer Club, Monica will be looking to use her experience at some of the highest levels of youth soccer to her advantage in order to dominate CHS’ county competition this season. But, even though she has plenty of experience coaching, she still has the help of her family to guide her through the transition process.

“My dad has been helping me a lot,” she said. “The first thing he did was send me an email of things to do to get myself ready for the season, as well as a big hug of excitement that he could see me every day.”

So far, Monica has been well received by her players and is seen as a determined, devoted and supportive coach.

Freshman Annika Hando is enjoying the season so far with Monica, starting off the season with three wins and one loss.

“I love playing under Monica because she is very uplifting and she gives great constructive criticism towards my mistakes,” Hando said. “She puts the right amount of pressure on us to stay determined and want to improve.”

Monica plans on growing her soccer knowledge by increasing her coaching license level, and eventually climbing the rankings and coach at the varsity level again. One thing that is for sure is that she will not be leaving CHS anytime soon.

“[The girls] could not be more fun to be around and work incredibly hard,” Monica stated. “I cannot wait for what’s to come this season!”