It’s only weird if it doesn’t work: Athletes believe in the power of pregame rituals

Michael Jordan wore the same shorts from his 1982 NCAA Championship game under his shorts for every NBA game. The NFL’s John Henderson made his assistant trainer slap him across the face before every kick off. Moises Alou of the MLB used to urinate on his hands to protect them from calluses prior to every game. Like these pros, CHS athletes and teams have their own pre-game rituals they perform to ensure a great performance.

Whether it is a cheer, pep talk or certain piece of clothing, athletes stay loyal to their pre-game traditions because of the effect it has on their game.

“I have to drink coffee before games or else I won’t do well and won’t be focused,” senior lacrosse player Leah Pitman said.

The crew team has a pre-race meeting with their coxswain, a member of the team who sits in the stern and coordinates the boat, and finishes with a cheer.

“We talk to the coxswain about what they should be telling us during the race, and how they can help us and encourage us,” senior Abby McClive said. “We have a cheer where we all put our hands in and say ‘One, two, Churchill Crew,’ and grunt at the end.”

Varsity soccer player junior Joey Strawn has noticed some of his teammates’ unusual warm-up tactics.

“A lot of players warm-up with their shoes untied,” Strawn said.

The field hockey team finds it helpful to go over individual and team objectives before they hit the field.

“We always share our personal and team goals before all of our games to pump us up,” senior Clare Nolan said.

Playoffs are a big deal in any level of any sport and rituals can even be created when a winning streak is started. The varsity baseball team has a special ritual just for their post-season games.

“During playoffs we don’t shave until we lose,” senior Matt O’Lone said. “It may be superstitious, but we were Regional Champions last season.”

Pre-game rituals are taken very seriously. Players intend to win, and will do anything necessary to do so.

“Rituals really give us a chance to bond as a team,” Strawn said.