High hopes for G-Lax after undefeated season

Standing in the shadow of an undefeated season and a win in the regional finals, the girls lacrosse team plans to maintain its successful streak in the upcoming year.

“Every year is a new year, and we have to come out every season wanting to prove ourselves all over again,” coach Christen Gjeldum said.

Led by seniors Mairin Hall and Maddy Flax, the team combats the loss of key senior players, such as Katie Ruben and Sami Soma, from last season with the development of its skills and speed.

“There are a few underclassmen and both a strong junior and senior class that will add to the team’s success,” senior Eliza Farha said.

The Bulldogs lost their goalie from last season, senior Kristina Roberts, who felt as though she could not fully commit to the team this year, adding another obstacle the team must overcome. Senior Alex Fox has switched from a field position to goalie due to a recent injury.

“Due to the fact that I can’t run, I’ve been working extremely hard in trying to master and grasp the goalie techniques as quickly as possible,” Fox said.

Despite these losses, the Lady Bulldogs remain confident in their ability to have an even more successful season this year.

“We all get along and work really well together as a team, so I’m hoping we go far in playoffs just like we did last year,” Farha said.

The team’s ultimate goal is to be as victorious as possible, especially in games against Sherwood and Wootton.

“[Our goals] are to win the division, region and state,” Gjeldum said. “The girls are always expected to give their best during practices and games.”

The girls lacrosse season kicks off with a game on March 21 against Bullis.