Superfan Kickoff Cookout aims to boost school spirit

Everyone gathered around a grill last year with the smell of burgers and dogs wafting in the air, excited for the girls lacrosse playoff game. Even though just one small grill was cooking, everyone could smell the school spirit.

The Superfan Kickoff Cookout party is a new event held before CHS home football games in an attempt to capture the spirit from last year. Unfortunately, the student body was unable to have a cookout for the first home football game against Kennedy because the event was not yet approved.

“Because of the number of parties involved in setting up a party this large, we needed to take the time before planning to start the event,” SGA sponsor Scott Selman said.

Last year, a cookout party occurred on Gainsborough Road in the middle of traffic before the girls lacrosse playoff game. This year, the school plans to move it to the tennis courts where it will be safer and more controlled.

According to Selman, the SGA did not want to step on the toes of the Booster Club because at the cookout students would have access to free food, which might take business away from the concession stand. However, he put together a team of parent, administration and staff support to keep the event safe.

“It is fun and gets people to come out and represent Churchill,” Selman said. “I will stand by and supports anything that promotes that.”

This event is open to all students before every home game. CHS students who buy the Superfan T-shirt will have access to free food, drinks and music at the party.

“I thought it was really fun,” senior Alex Dourian said. “There was corn hole and I threw a football around, and there was a lot of burgers and hot dogs.”