Golf team tees off, places second in first match

Despite a slow start to the season, the golf team is working hard toward a successful year. Led by co-captains seniors Phillip Ahn and Brandon Fisher, the Bulldogs are looking to improve their overall game for their last four matches.

The season began late this summer with tryouts and a trip to Williamsburg to work on teamwork before the first match Aug. 22. The Bulldogs played a well-fought match against Damascus, Quince Orchard, and B-CC, finishing second with an overall score of 204.

“So many people were playing with nerves,” junior Ryan Chirumbole said. “Also, we were without one of our captains and best players, Phillip Ahn.”

The Bulldogs plan to use their past matches as learning experiences to get better results in future matches.

“[The matches] haven’t turned out as well as we expected,” Ahn said. “If we want to win, team members are going to have to practice harder and stay focused.”

The new players have proven to be a great addition, bringing depth to the team. Freshmen Louis Dubick and Josh Brinkman have shown great potential in their game and play with confidence.

“All of the freshman have considerable competitive experience and have demonstrated maturity beyond their years,” coach Mike Fisher said. “They will make strong leaders for the next group of WCHS golfers.”

The team continues to push itself to do better in every aspect of the game, but makes sure that everyone still finds joy when they play.

“When we are having an off day, all of us are still able to enjoy the round and not bring others down,” junior Kathleen Gaultney said. “On the course, everyone still laughs and jokes.”

The Bulldogs have also been working on teamwork, making sure that the connection that was established last year continues this season as well. Since they couldn’t practice in the rain, the Bulldogs went bowling to work on teamwork.

“Bowling is something we do every year and it really bonds everyone together,” Gaultney said.

From the alley to the course, the golf team stays strong with a focused mentality, despite its unexceptional first two matches of the season. The team last met Sept. 22 against Whitman, B-CC and Rockville at Needwood Golf Course.